As clear as a crystal - XII

Bruce sat on the couch, binder on his lap, science homework sat right on top of the binder. They were back in school and both of their teachers didn't hesitate to give massive amounts of homework. Instead of working on his homework, Vance was taking his afternoon nap in his room, occasionally saying things in his sleep that Bruce could hear. Anytime he heard Vance's tired babbling he smiled to himself.

After a while Bruce had moved on to working on an essay over his Christmas break, which he always found stupid to write. It was almost the same every year for him. Stay home while the rest of the family goes out, hang out with friends, go back to school. Sure, this school year's Christmas break was way different, but it wasn't like he was going to openly admit all that happened to his English teacher.

"Hey, babe," Vance yawned, stretching his arms as he walked into the living room. He plopped down onto the couch next to Bruce, putting an arm around his shoulder. "Working on homework still?" He groaned, closing his eyes.

"Yeah," Bruce sighed. "Even without my parents on my back about keeping up my grades, I still feel obligated to do so. I want to go to college and have a good job." He chuckled softly, feeling as Vance softly kissed his cheek.

"Yeah? What college do you want to go to?" Vance asked, smiling as he laid his head on Bruce's shoulder.

Bruce thought for a moment. "Originally I wanted to go to the University of Denver, but I'm thinking on going to somewhere out of state," he explained, feeling as Vance gave a little nod motion. "Are you gonna go to college?" He inquired.

"Probably not," Vance shrugged, "but maybe. What do you even want to do as like—a job?" He lifted his head and locked eyes with Bruce.

"Hmm..probably a.." Bruce trailed off to silence as he thought of what he could really see himself doing. "I kind of want to be a cook, but I think it'd be pretty cool to be a teacher, you know? Maybe a pro baseball player." He shrugged, looking back to his essay.

"A teacher?" Vance giggled, getting a glare from Bruce. "Okay, okay, what would you teach?"

Bruce shrugged his shoulders, biting his cheek, "either math or history. And I'd coach the school baseball team." He rolled his eyes as Vance giggled at the thought of him teaching history when he had never really shown an interest in it. "Okay then, babe, what do you want to have as a job?"

"Ughh," Vance groaned as he laid down, putting his feet in Bruce's lap. "This is gonna sound so weird, but I think it'd be cool to be cop, you know?" He said, smiling wide. Then Bruce started to laugh. He kicked Bruce before saying, "I mean like the cops that work on the crime scenes..like in those shows."

"A crime scene investigator?" Bruce raised his eyebrow, a smile growing on his face. Vance nodded, rolling his eyes as Bruce giggled. "With that record of yours I doubt you'd get that job."

"Bruce, let's be real for a second," Vance started, sitting up and grabbing Bruce's face. "With my record I ain't gonna get any good paying job."

Bruce laughed, "I guess I'll have to be the breadwinner of the family."

Vance felt his face get warm as his own smile widened. "Are you saying we're gonna grow old together? And what do you mean family?"

Bruce giggled, his face getting all warm and red, "maybe I am. Maybe I'm not."

When Vance went to speak there was rapid knocking on his door. He groaned as he stood and dragged his feet to the door. "What do you want?" He whined as he opened the door. But then he saw Finney and Griffin. Finney looked panicked and all beat up and Griffin was crying, holding a hand over his right eye. "What happened?" He asked, his protectiveness of Griffin taking over.

"Moose was yelling at Griffin and then griffin tried to yell back, but he hit him," Finney began to explain, still standing outside, "so then I hit him and he began to beat me and all." He could feel his heart racing as he stared into Vance's now upset eyes. Finney knew how protective Vance was of Griffin. Griffin had mentioned how they were almost like brothers.

Vance bit his cheek, thinking for a moment. "Come inside," he said, "I'll get you both cleaned up, I guess." Finney and Griffin walked in and Vance shut the door. "Bruce! Come help me!" Vance yelled.

"Ask nicely!" Bruce yelled back. "Plus I'm doing homework!"

"Help me, please!" Vance shouted back, "it's more important than homework." He could hear as Bruce sighed, setting his homework to the side.

When Bruce entered he was shocked. "Woah...what the hell happened you guys?" He asked, walking right up to Finney. "Moose?" He inquired before Finney could even answer.

"Yeah," Finney sighed.

"Come on, I'll get you cleaned up," Bruce said, "Vance, can you help Griffin?"

"I was going to do that anyways," Vance shrugged, grabbing Griffin's hand. As they walked he tried to calm down Griffin, but griffin wasn't even the slightest bit calm. "Hey," he stopped, kneeling down a bit, "Moose is a bitch, and if he ever gives you anymore trouble, and I mean ANY, you come and tell me, kay?"

Griffin sniffed a bit, nodding as he choked out, "okay."

In the bathroom Vance and Bruce helped the two others. Vance and Griffin were practically silent, listening to what Finney and Bruce were talking about. "I'm surprised your parents haven't called the cops yet," Finney mumbled, wincing as Bruce out rubbing alcohol on his cuts.

"Me too," Bruce nodded back, "Vance and I saw my mom and sister at the store. She asked me to come home, but I refused. I also told her if she really cared then she'd file a missing report. Clearly they haven't yet."

"Maybe the cops are investigating them," Vance shrugged, glancing at Bruce.

"As if," Bruce scoffed, "they'd for sure take my father's word over mine."

Vance sighed, knowing Bruce was right. He stood, still holding Griffin's hand as he had before. "You want some food or somethin'?" Vance asked Griffin, who nodded with a small smile. "'Kay...think of what you want while I call Jack."

"Okay, Vancey," Griffin grinned, practically dragging Vance out of the bathroom.

Finney and Bruce stared at the door for a moment. "So..." Finney started before going quiet. "You and Vance, huh? You're a...uhm...a thing?"

"What?" Bruce quickly turned his head to look right at Finney. He could see the seriousness yet 'I'm happy for you' look in his eyes. "Uhm, how...how did you find out?" He asked, his face turning pink.

Finney giggled, a smile growing at the sight of Bruce being all pink. "It was at the beginning of Christmas break and I almost walked in on you guys kissing under the mistletoe," he laughed softly, seeing as the pink on Bruce's face grew red. "And...it was so clear you guys had something."

"Oh my god..." Bruce sighed as the two of them stood up. "Were we really?" He asked, both of them walking.

"As clear as a crystal," Finney laughed.

_____________________
hope u enjoyed the chapter 😘 I realised I've barely mentioned Billy at all in this story 😭 he's more prominent in another story I'm working on I promise!!!!

words: 1265