Here It Comes

The sand around my soaked body was damp and sticking to me. I couldn't hear anything or see. The only thing I knew was that someone was pressing on my chest, hard.

Water filled my throat and my body jerked forward, spitting it all up. As my lungs gasped for air, blurry images started to appear, and the water that must have been in my ears drained out.

"Grey! Are you okay?!" Oliver's voice seemed far away, but he was right in front of me.

I laid back down against the sand, exhausted, and kept breathing heavily, not saying a word.

Jessica started to call out to Oliver and I could here her feet running against the board walk, followed by much louder stomps.

Then they stopped.

I closed my eyes when the sun came out from behind a cloud, the only thing I heard was muffled voices behind the ocean waves. It must be Jessica and whoever was with her, because Oliver was right next to me.

Callused hands wrapped around me and I was being lifted.

"I can walk," I started, but was immediately cut off by Jessica, who now must be next to us. She sneaks up everywhere.

"You almost drowned! You're being carried."

She went ahead of us, and Oliver didn't say a word.

When we reached the house, Jessica went to make tea, and Oliver brought me upstairs.

"Grey.."

"Oh here it comes." I laugh quietly and expect a fit of rage, or a lecture, but nothing happens. Oliver just stands there.

"What?" I finally ask, standing in front of him awkwardly and soaking wet.

"...You should shower, you don't want to get sand all over your room."

Then he left. Just like that, no lecture or argument. I retreated into the bathroom and stripped off my sandy dress, not seeing my shoes. They were probably in the ocean.

After my shower I went down stairs, sitting at the counter, watching the happy couple make some tea and muffins.

"Who was that guy? The one that put his hand on your shoulder." I point to Jessica. "I felt like I knew him.."

"Grey you were probably seeing things," Oliver joked and as he finished Jessica slapped his shoulder.

"Grey..before we discuss that, we need to discuss the fact that we cant help you if you don't try to help yourself." Jessica's stern voice surprised me and slightly frightened me.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that you went into that water with the intent to kill yourself. This isn't a babysitting service. We cant be here 24/7 to make sure you don't off yourself mkay? You scared Oliver," Jessica cleared her throat, "you scared both of us.

That was when I saw it. I saw the fake look of concern and the fake loving motherly face and I was angry. Angry that i didn't see it before. Angry that to Jessica, i was a pawn in her life chess game. Just a way to write a book to get a paycheck. One that she didn't even need.

Oliver's arm wrapped around her and my angry turned to sadness. He didn't see it. He didn't see what i could because i was raised with people like this. I was like that.

I silently stood up and walked away, going back upstairs to my room, and falling onto my bed. My energy 0, and so was the happiness I had gelt only a little while ago.

What was I thinking? You cant just restart your life. It doesn't happen like this. It wont work. I'm doomed to be what I was before Oliver came into my life. The sooner i accept that, the better.