Chapter 9

Stacie’s Pov

Our first Bella practice after winter break is today. I am happy that I got to spend some time with my family. I haven’t realized how much I miss them. Even though Chloe had to practically beg to let us go home, it was worth it. Aubrey wanted us to stay all break to practice, so we made a deal to practice at home, and I did. We have majorly improved our choreography. Right now we are practicing ‘Turn the Beat Around’. As Chloe get ready to sing the high note at the end, she brings it down an octave. As soon as the song ends I start trying to catch my breath.

“I should have taken that cardio tip more seriously.” Fat Amy gasps.

“How much have you done?” Aubrey asks her.

“You just saw it.”

“Chloe you gotta to be able to hit that last note.” Aubrey says while walking to the piano.

“I- I can’t. It’s impossible. It’s because of my- my nodes.” She replies. When she says nodes the rest of us help to get the point across to Aubrey by saying “Her nodes.”

“Well if you can’t do it then somebody else needs a solo.” Aubrey says before taking a drink of water.

“I think Beca should take my solo.” Aubrey looks at the piano.

“Beca would be a good solo, but also someone else might be equally as excellent. And they might be shy and not wanna come forward and say they want a solo.” Fat Amy implies to Aubrey. Beca just nods and gestures to Amy.

“Well if Beca doesn’t want a solo then......” Aubrey jumps to conclusions.

Beca steps in. “I would be happy to do it, if I got to pick a new song and do an arrangement.”

“Well that’s not how we run things here.” Aubrey states.

“Aubrey, maybe Beca has a point maybe we could try something new.” Chloe suggests.

“A-ca-scuse me? You can sing ‘Turn the Beat Around’ and that’s the last I want to hear of this.” she scolds. Here comes dominating Aubrey.

“That song is tired. We’re not gonna win with it. If we pull samples from different genres and layer them together we could make-” Aubrey cuts Beca off before she has a chance to finish.

“Okay let me explain something to you because you still don’t seem to get it. Our goal is to get back to the finals, and these songs will get us there. So excuse me if I don’t take advice from some altz girl with her madlib beats because she’s never even been in a competition before. Have I made myself clear?” She snaps.

“Crystal. I won’t solo.” Beca says backing down.

“Fine. Fat Amy?”

“Yes sir?” she asks.

“You’ll solo.”

“Yes! Yeah! Yay!” She exclaims.

I think Aubrey has begun to feel sick from the stress because she just ends practice.

"Yo Stacie!" I turn around and see Beca.

"What?"

"Me, Chloe, Amy, Ashley, Cynthia Rose, and Jess are heading to the new 'Underground Cafe' on campus. Wanna join?"

"Sure I'd love to." I walk over to the full length mirror and check my outfit. I am wearing a pair of destroyed shorties and a black tank top with a lace open back. My hot pink bra contrasts the black lace. I brush my hair and fix my makeup, then I'm ready. "Let's crush this!" The rest of the Bellas cheer and we head across campus. We go down the steps and go to a big table.