Chapter Sixteen

The Lincoln Center. I am in the Lincoln Center. For the first time in a long time, I feel nervous.

"And you are?" A woman with a clipboard asks.

"We're the Barden Bellas," Beca answers for us, easily slipping into her new leadership role.

"Right this way."

We are lead through a freaking maze of hallways. I made a mental note to bring some string or breadcrumbs, because, let's be honest, this is me we're talking about, and I am going to get lost a least twice.

I her warm ups coming from different rooms, and I realized there aren't as many teams as I thought. I wrinkle my nose as I catch some major B.O. and fight the urge to bolt for the nearest door or open window.

"Something smells fishy," Amy comments, making several of the girls, myself included, giggle.

I cover a snort. There were normal people who thought something was off and kept quiet, and then there were the Fat Amy's of the world, telling you how it was going to be. I'm proud to say Amy is one of my best friends.

Great, now I'm getting nostalgic.

I set down my bag and turn on the podcast of the Nationals. I listen to mind numbing commercials before John and Gail come on.

"Welcome to the finals of the 2012 International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella," John begins.

"Lincoln Centre is proud to welcome back all of these young hopefuls tonight who are hoping to win a trophy by making music with their mouths," Gail says.

"This is going to e a big night, and I tell you, Gail, if you just shut your eyes," John says.

"I'm doing-"

My radio is shut off by Beca.

"It's time to get our mics, and warm up," she says as I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Kay," I nod. I double check my outfit and frown. I pull down my shirt and readjust my girls so more cleavage is showing. Much better.

We file out of our room and Beca leads us to the wings of the stage.

"One, two, three, swag!" the Trebles cheer.

"Just give me a moment," Beca says, walking over to Jesse before he runs onstage.

For once, Beca isn't emotionally withdrawn. I could see the guilt burning in her eyes, the untold emotions she has for him.    

I blow Donald a kiss and he pretends to catch it and winks back. I fight the blush coming to my cheeks. He still makes me blush like a schoolgirl.

I nod my head to the beat of Bright Lights, Bigger City, and I smile as I see Benji tae the intro of Magic. Donald takes over rapping, and I feel warmth flooding through me. I love him. Donald has always accept me a I am, and despite breaking the oath I made to the Bellas, my new sisters, I wouldn't change my decision on him.

The buzz fills me as the Trebles finish up. My heart is pounding, and my palms are sweaty and gross. At the same time, a feeling of certainty washes through me. I know this. I know my parts, I know my dance, I know I can dance in my slightly heeled shoes.

"I love you, awesome nerds," Beca says, smiling.

"Yeah, you guys are the best. Even though some of you are pretty thin, I think that you all have fat hearts and that's what matters. Okay, let's just smash this. Okay?" Amy adds, looking at me and Beca.

I take my place in line and we file out. I fight a smirk as I hear the shocked reaction over our change of outfit. Now we need to knock 'em dead. Metaphorically speaking, of course.