1

Louise had never liked being in the Pesto's house. The place was like a museum, far too clean and organized to actually feel comfortable in. The rooms were all decorated with art sold in mass and professional grade portraits of the family haphazardly posed in outdoor activities and organized sports. There were photos of them holding hands as they ran towards the ocean and Jimmy Junior in his highschool wrestling leotard - yikes. Louise never would have been in the Pesto's house at all if it hadn't been for Logan.

Louise, Andy, and Ollie had been thick as thieves since elementary. A lot had changed of course, they weren't the same kids they'd been back then, but in some ways the dynamic had remained the same. When she'd proclaimed that she wanted to make a B horror movie this summer they'd all set to work.

In the past they'd done their pre production meetings at her place, but now that Logan was around, Louise had suggested they change locales, at least on the days he was working. To Louise's horror Logan had been on the payroll at the restaurant for a whole month. He'd shown back up in Wonderwarf for the summer looking for a job.

"We need the extra help Louise." Her mom had scolded. "Since both Tina and Jean aren't coming home this summer your father and I aren't gonna be able to run the restaurant without hiring someone."
"Yea but why does that someone need to be Logan? He's the worst! Don't you remember his internship?!"
"Come on Louise, that was a long time ago, he's a very mature young man. You should give him a second chance. Besides he's the only one who applied.."

Initially, Louise had been sure that he wouldn't last, but despite her disgust Her parents could only seem to sing his praises. Last night at dinner was no exception; her Dad had brought it up.

"Does it seem like we're getting more teenagers in the restaurant than usual?"
Linda laughed "Yeaaa, Logan has his own little fan group. I saw your friend Millie Frock almost pee her pants when he brought over her order."
"She's not my friend." Louise had hissed through gritted teeth.
"You two used to play all the time!" Her mother protested. "Wasn't there one halloween you dressed up together?"
"NO. But she did trap us in the alley behind the house. Milly is an absolute sociopath!"
"Honey, stop exaggerating, she's a lovely young lady - always asks me about my day, unlike some people." Louise rolled her eyes, but didn't press the subject. Typical mom behavior to rewrite the past and try and tell her who she used to be friends with.

"Well anyway, we're getting a lot more milkshake orders thanks to that kid - I'm thinking of adding some new flavors - what do you think of peanut butter?"

So much for hoping Logan wouldn't stick around..

The film required a lot of careful planning. It was gonna be a homage to 1960s B Horror flicks, more specifically to Night of the Living Dead. Andy was the writer and director, Ollie handled equipment and editing, and Louise was the Cinematographer.

They weren't complete novices at film making. Wagstaff didn't have much in the way of extracurriculars, but in recent years the school had expanded their HS electives to offer Film and Journalism. It was all part of Mr. Frond's push for "Youth Art Outreach".

Louise had never been passionate about any school subject, but filmmaking was different. A camera made her feel powerful. It was actually the only school subject that Louise had ever received an A in.

The thing that made her most uncomfortable about the Pesto's house was Ollie and Andy's father. Luckily Jimmy Pesto wasn't home much, but the guy made her squirm. He ran his household with a tight fist and was always getting on his kids for not being good enough. He never directed these types of comments towards Louise, as a guest in his house she was merely an uncomfortable observer and not a target of direct vitreal herself. But he had a way of asking questions that let you know what he thought of you without him having to quite come out and say it directly. "You got off of work early, slow night over there huh?" or "You're Dad still driving that clunker?" Louise excelled at twisting these types of comments back at him, but today she just didn't have the energy for it.

She followed Ollie into the kitchen and her heart sank when she saw Mr.Pesto rifling through the fridge. He turned and she braced for the usual unpleasantness, but instead found herself face to face with the Junior Jimmy.

"Yo! Wassup Louise! Haven't seen you in a minute."

Jimmy was double fisting both a protein bar and shake, but from the looks of it, he really needed to lay off the supplements. He had grown much wider since the last time she saw him and not in a good way. He had that Hulk Hogan look that was almost cartoonish. She remembered vaguely that her sister had mentioned him getting a full ride at some college for some sport.

"Hey Jimmy. I didn't know you were home."
"Yea, you know how it is - Wagstaff crew reunion." Louise thought there was something so sad about college kids who clung to their highschool friend group.

"Zeke's folks are out of town, we're gonna throw a rager this Saturday, you should come through." Ollie saved her from having to answer.
"No time, we're filming B roll Saturday. Gotta take advantage of the crowds."
"Who invited you?" Jimmy glared across the kitchen island at his little brother, then to Louise "Come through after then, we're gonna keep the party goin all night." Ew, did he seriously just wink at her? She grimaced at his bulky retreating back as he lumbered out of the kitchen.
"Your brother is so yoked it's kinda disgusting." Ollie got a funny look on his face.
"Really? I thought girls liked that?"
"Ew, no way. I mean.. Maybe Tina.."
Ollie cocked his head playfully to one side. "So you like skinny guys then huh?" This conversation had taken a weird turn, she changed the topic.
"You want to see the shot list?" She reached down to feel around in her backpack for the battered notebook.
"How's it coming?"
"It's coming along, but Andy really needs to stop making edits to the script. We gotta get everything locked down before we start shooting." Andy, or Andrew as he preferred for them to call him these days, was a talented screenwriter. But he was known to make drastic last minute changes when the mood took him. The list kept growing.
She spread it out on the kitchen island and they both leaned over the counter reading through it.
"I dunno if we'll really be able to finish it all in 3 months.." Louise was skeptical.
"We got to, it may be our last opportunity - once we all start college things aren't gonna be the same." She winced at the mention of college. She still hadn't told them that she'd decided she wasn't going. She knew Andy especially would give her a hard time.

As similar as they looked on the outside, the Twins were very different. Ollie would be sure to be more sympathetic, he was easier to confide in. Although Andy was more reliable for good advice, harsh maybe, but tough love was good sometimes. Where Oliver was the peacekeeper, Andrew was the rebel.

"Hey Ol?" She figured it would be best to just tell him now and get it over with.
"Mmh?" He was still absorbed in the shot list - scribbling something illegible between the margins. She braced herself for his shock.
"I-- "

"My Brother just asked me for your number." Andy entered the kitchen with a look of evil glee.
Louise rolled her eyes.
"Is this about Tina? I'm not gonna be his go between. If he's interested again he needs to tell her himself. She's not even coming home this summer so I don't really know what he's-- "
He cut her off laughing
"No no, he's all about YOU now. He won't shut up about it."
"Uhhh, what do you mean?"
"I mean my brother wants to get in your pants."
"Oh my god, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that. That's disgusting."
Andy was still smiling maliciously "Well I gave it to him, so you have some time to think about it."
"WHAT! Why would you do that??"
Andy shrugged, "He agreed to pick up my weekend restaurant shifts."
"You traded me out for that?!" Louise was indignant. "What the fuck Andy!" She turned to Ollie for support.
"Hey don't look at me, I didn't narc."