5

"I can take her home." Jimmy Jr slurred
"You're a fucking creep." Logan loomed over him menacingly.
Louise felt like the blood was draining out of her body, this was too embarrassing to be real. The few remaining party goers had formed a thin crowd around them.
"I'm fine really" she kept protesting weekly. Tugging feebly at Logan's pant leg.
"See she's fine!" Jimmy was backing away, his hands raised defensively as Logan stared him down. "She just can't take her booze, not my fault man."
"She just went into anaphylactic shock you fucking idiot! You're pathetic, trying to get teenagers drunk."
"Whoa, it's not like that bro, you got this all wrong."
"Logan, I'm fine!"
"You're not fine. I'm taking you home." And with that he was lifting her up off the sand.
She would have protested more, but as soon as she was on her feet her knees gave out again. She had to grab onto the front of Logan's sweatshirt to stop herself from dropping back down. He sighed and kneeled down in front of her.
"Here" Ordinarily Louise would rather be caught dead than carried anywhere, but under the present circumstances it seemed to be the only available exit strategy, so she let herself slump over his broad back.

The noise of the bonfire slowly faded as Logan carried her back towards the pier. She still felt woozy and there was a slight stink of vomit stuck to her hair. Everything seemed dulled and slightly blurred - like a horrible dream she was sure to wake up from at any moment. The beat of Logan's footsteps thudding heavily in the sand below them reverberated through her limbs. Since most of the alcohol had now been projected back out of her body she was beginning to sober up.

Logan had just crested the final wooden step back onto the boardwalk. He was panting slightly paused at the top, when Louise started to wriggle free.

"Put me down. I can walk, jeez."

He let her go and this time she found her feet, still shaky but steady enough to hold herself up.
"You didn't have to do that." She turned on Logan now "I can take care of myself."
"Yea looked like you really had it all under control back there." He shot back between breaths.
"I could have handled it, I don't need you butting into my business ok?"
"You should be thanking me, you could have fucking DIED! Do you even realize that? Why the fuck aren't you carrying an epi-pen?"

The epi-pen, Louise blushed. She did have one, although its viability was dubious at best. How long had it sat in her night stand? She had never gotten into the habit of bringing it with her, despite her Mom's persistence. I mean when the fuck is anyone gonna put secret lobster in your food without telling you? The logic had seemed sound.

"You're lucky I had mine on me, you're lucky to be alive right now." Louise was still silent, staring intently at his shoes now, unable to look him in the eyes. He stared at her for a long moment waiting for an answer that wouldn't come.
"Fuck. Whatever." He brushed past her and started to walk away, clearly fed up.

"What are you allergic to?"
He paused, his back still turned. "What did you say?"
"What are you allergic to?"
Logan turned back towards her with a skeptical expression. "I just saved your life, and that's all you have to say to me?"
"Yea I wanna know your weakness, it may come in handy someday."
That made him smile.

"What? Do I know too much? You planning on taking me out?"
"Something like that." She was smiling now too, shaky still, but smiling.
"Tell you what, you finish the rest of this water and I might reveal my secrets."
He handed her the bottle that was poking out of his sweatshirt pocket. Louise made a face.
"Ugh, water is gonna taste like poison right now."
"Yea but you'll thank me tomorrow."
They sat down on a nearby bench.

No one was around except a few indignant gulls who were giving them some serious side eye. The pier was long closed this time of night. All the rides were folded up like forlorn lawn chairs. They switched off all the power too, except for a few street lamps, and the familiar noises of the boardwalk faded away leaving only the sound of the waves, and part of the soundtrack from the haunted mansion attraction. For some reason the scream track stayed on. Maybe it was wired on the same power grid as the street lights, but more likely it was one of Mr. Fishoder's whimsical mandates. Louise didn't know why, all she knew for sure was that every 3 minutes there was a hollow blood curdling scream that echoed down the pier. Some might have found this unsettling, but Louise found it strangely comforting and familiar. She took a gulp of water and fought to get it down.

"Why are you working at the restaurant?" The question had been bothering her for the last 2 months, and now, in her loosened state it burst out.
"You have a lot of questions tonight huh Four Ears?"
That wasn't an answer. "Common, I know you don't need the money so what gives?"
Logan shrugged. "It's good to get out of the house.". "Plus," He added, flashing her one of his mischievous smiles, " it's a good way to meet girls."
"Ughh sick. Yea good luck with Millie Frock, you two are perfect for each other." Louise rolled her eyes. Logan laughed.
"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be off exploring the world before you start school in the fall?"
"Pssssssh. I'm not starting school in the fall."

The secret that had weighed on her so heavily for the last few weeks, slid out so easily in her loosened state.

"What about film school?"
"Film school is a scam."
"That sounds like something people who didn't get in say."
"Tarantino and Spielberg didn't go, why should I?"
"You want to be like Tarantino?"
"Nah, that guys a racist dirtbag." Logan laughed.
"Fair enough, so who's your idol then?"
"Misumi."
"I don't even know who that is."
"Kenji Misumi??"
"Yea who is that?"
"Are you serious? He directed Hawk and Chick!" Louise was indignant.
"Never heard of it."
"Oh my god Logan."
"Alright, alright, look I'll write it in my notes." She thought he was joking, but he really pulled out his phone. "Hawk and what?"
"Hawk and Chick, it's a whole series." She leaned over his shoulder. "C-h-i-c-k not c-h-i-c."
"Which ones are the best?"
"Cephalopod Monster is hands down the best, but that one you won't be able to find ANYWHERE. Believe me I've looked. 6 Headed Geisha and Sharkman are great, but they're all pretty solid."

She realized she was rambling in her loosened condition and trailed off. This was the most animated Logan had ever seen his co-worker get about any topic. If she'd been in a more lucid state she would never have recommended a movie for him. Louise tossed back the last splash of water. She was feeling very self conscious suddenly. There was another eerie scream in the midst of their silence.

"I should probably get home." She got up abruptly.
"I can walk you."
"Nah no need. I'm good now. Thanks for the water." She turned and was starting to put a good distance between them when she heard him call out.

"Walnuts!"

She paused and turned back in confusion for a moment before she realized what he meant, then she couldn't help but laugh.

"Good to know!"