18

"Miss!"
Louise started up from the slumped position in her seat. She'd been flipping ideally through the ancient stack of Women's Health Magazines in a trance of worry and boredom. Now the secretary was beckoning her over to the desk.

Logan was awake and asking for her. Louise felt a warm rush of relief flood through her whole body at this news. It was as if she had been holding her breath for hours. The feeling lasted as she filled out her visitor card and got in the elevator, but once she was in the hall counting down the numbers to Logan's room, a new nervousness took hold of her. She had no idea what state Logan would be in. She pictured him lying limp on a hospital bed full of tubes and wires, attached to blinking machines. Was she really the person he wanted to see? Or had they not properly communicated who was waiting in the lobby? Maybe he was angry at her. Maybe he wanted to sue. He definitely had grounds if he did. She imagined her testimony at trial 'I didn't know there were walnuts in the meat you're honor'.

She was standing outside the door now, wondering if it was too late to turn around, when it opened abruptly in her face. Louise jolted back. A blond middle aged woman in nursing scrubs smiled at her.
"You must be our visitor!" She exclaimed. "You can go right in Dear, he's just finished his dinner." With that she ushered Louise into the room announcing "Logan, you have a pretty guest." Louise shot the nurse a dark scowl at this unwelcome commentary, but she didn't seem to notice. Her perky-ness was nauseating.

Logan was in bed, he wasn't attached to any machines, but he did have an IV in his right arm. He looked much better than the last time she'd seen him. The color was back in his face and the rash had faded significantly. Her stomach fluttered nervously. She would have seen more of him if they were on the beach in their swimsuits, but somehow his muscular torso peeking out from the hospital gown felt much more intimate. He sat up to greet her.

"Hey!" He didn't look angry, more uncomfortable, if anything.
"Hey." Louise looked back at the nurse, who was hovering expectantly in the doorway, watching them with a big smile on her face. If she was hoping for a tender reunion she was in for a disappointment. When she noticed Louise eyeing her she started apologetically. "Oh you two probably want to be alone, silly me!" When she was gone Louise turned back to Logan.

"How are you feeling?" She ventured after a pause.
"Not gonna lie, I've been better." Louise nodded, struggling to think of something comforting to say. "I guess I was in pretty bad shape when you brought me in." He paused as if looking to her for some kind of confirmation. She nodded again. He went on. "The doctor said it was a pretty close call. Thank you for getting me here, you probably saved my life." His gaze was so intense, she almost felt like it was pushing her backwards. "I guess I owe you big time."
"I guess now we're even." Logan looked stunned for a moment, then a sheepish grin spread across his face.
"Yeah. I guess we are."
"You look better. I mean, at least better than when you came in."
"Did I get all blotchy?"
"Yea" She answered honestly. "You had kinda a leopard print thing going... but you didn't really get puffy or anything."
He laughed. "Some people inflate, and some people break out."
"I get more puffy."
"I know." He smiled playfully and Louise tried not to picture what her face must have looked like all blown up like a balloon the night of Lobsterfest. She changed the subject.
"How long are they keeping you here?"
"They want me to stay a few more hours for observation."
"That sucks."
"Yea. At least I'll miss the dinner rush."
"Do you have someone to give you a ride back?"
"Not yet, but I'll figure it out."
"I can drive you."
"Yea?" She nodded. "Um, that would be great if you don't mind."
"But in return you have to promise not to press charges." Logan laughed.
"Seems fair."
"Ok, well." Louise shifted from foot to foot, feeling that the conversation was coming to a close. "I should probably let you get some rest?"
"I'm not tired really and the hospital is pretty boring. You should stay." He gestured at a chair near the bed. "Keep me company."