Chapter 2

Wendy

At exactly 9:30, we arrived in front of the great BLACK GLOBETECH CORP. I paid the cab driver. Black Globetech Corp had a stunning 30-story global tower. I would love to peek around the tower, but I was here for an important reason.

I was awed when the glass doors opened on its own. I stepped in and I was scanned.

I heard my voice emanate from a computer. "Welcome Wendy."

It felt strange that a robot knew my name. I've never been here before. A green light showed and another door opened, making me a little bit nervous. As I walked into the reception area, I saw a man seated behind a U-shaped desk operating a computer system. I looked around, there was no one in the hall except him. I approached him. "Good morning."

The man looked away from the computer like a robot and stared at me, then his mouth stretched into a smile. "Good morning. Welcome to our organization. How can I help you?"

I searched my bag and brought out my ID. I stretched it to him. "I've an appointment."

He scanned my ID and returned it to me. "Who's your appointment with?"

"Mr. Andres Black," I said, relaxing my shoulders.

"Your name please?"

"Wendy Jones," I said, as I watched him pick up a telephone and dial a number. "Hello Mr. Black, Wendy Jones has arrived."

He looked back at me and smiled. "I have notified Mr. Black that you've arrived. He will see you shortly, Ms Wendy."

I nodded.

"Please have a seat over there," he gestured.

As I walked to the seat, I told myself to gather all the confidence I would need to have a conversation with Mr Black. I sat down. I watched as several phone lines rang simultaneously and multiple visitors came in at one time. I remained calm, hoping that Mr Black would see me. The receptionist looked at me and smiled. That alone helped boost my mood, decrease my stress level and relax my body. I glared at the vinyl plank flooring while rehearsing what to say if I finally meet the one man that everyone seems to be afraid of, the one man that treats women as though he was allergic to them, the one and only Mr Black. Many people tend to forget his first name Andres. I didn't really know much about him. The little I knew about him was from the diary my dad gave me. His name used to be Andres White but he changed the White to Black and that depicts a dark and cold-blooded nature. Yes, that was the last thing I saw in the diary. This was all I knew about him.

"Ms. Wendy, Mr Black will see you now," he said.

Finally. I walked back to the reception desk.

"Mr Black's office is on the 22nd floor," he informed me, as if he read my mind and knew I wanted to ask that.

"Thank you."

I entered the elevator, stabbed out my fingers and pressed some buttons.

The elevator arrived at the 22nd floor and I came out.

The bright sunlight of the early spring day was in my eyes as the door to Mr Black's office opened on its own. I entered into the office. The door closed, I leaned on it and gave a sigh of relief before walking further.

A man in a shiny black suit, and a matching pair of black closed-toe shoe, stood in front of the transparent window, with a view of the city. His left hand was dipped in his left trouser's pocket.

"Wendy Jones?" he called out my name huskily, which made my heart pound.

My heart dropped and landed with a thump on the floor of my stomach. Then with equal speed and as little warning, it began to ascend, as if someone had filled it with helium.