Chapter 4

Wendy

"Wendy, why are you being so sluggish?" our boss, Hernandez asked. Hernandez was in his late forties. He was Evelyn's stepdad.

Evelyn walked closer to me and collected the tray from my hand. She turned to Hernandez and with a smile she said, "I think Wendy is sick. You have nothing to worry about. I'll take care of everything."

"Whatever is wrong with the both of you, I don't care. This is one of the biggest fast food in town and our customers are filthy rich. They need the best service," he looked over to a table. "Look over there, that young man is sitting there reading a newspaper and dying of hunger. What the hell are you guys doing? Why are you standing there like you have been gummed to the floor."

"Mr Hernandez, I just told you we will handle everything. Why are you making a big case out of nothing?" Evelyn asked.

"Don't you dare talk back at me. If it wasn't for your mum, I wouldn't have hired you and her in the first place," he said, pointing at me.

"Are you going to fire us, now, huh?" Evelyn asked, anger written all over her.

"Just shut up and serve the guest their meal. Wendy, go over to that man and get his orders. Now," Hernandez Saud and started going.

I was about to go and ask the man for his order before Evelyn held my hand.

"What's the problem, Wendy? Did Mr Black kick you out again?"

I let the tears that welled up in my eyes out.

"Oh, Wendy," Evelyn said as she hugged me. "Everything will be alright. Your dad will be fine. We will both gather the money for your dad's treatment."

"Mr Black didn't even want to see me. He asked his P.A. to kick me out. He has no human sympathy at all."

Evelyn patted my head. "Such a heartless monster," she cursed at him. "I have some money. And I will ask my mum for-"

"Wendy?" Hernandez yelled. "I believe you heard me clearly the first time."

I nodded.

"Yes, she did. Can't you see she's going?" Evelyn sneered.

"That's enough, Evelyn."

"He thinks he can pick on you. He thinks you're so naive and that's so unfair," Evelyn said and walked away.

I turned and walked to the table, where Hernandez asked me to serve. The man was totally in black. His leg was crossed and I could see a black shiny shoe and a black socks. He had the backside of Mr Black. But I was definitely sure it couldn't be Mr Black. Mr Black would never come to this kind of fast food, even if he did, it would only be on a men's day where there is no single lady in this fast food.

I walked up to the man. He was reading a newspaper and the newspaper covered his face, so I couldn't see him.

"Good day sir, what would you like to have? Here's the food menu," I said, stretching it to him.

"I would like to have a conversation with you..."

That was definitely Mr Black's voice and I was very certain.

He put down the newspaper and confirmed it.

Was this a coincidence or was he here to laugh at me? I was so shocked and perplexed.

I cleared my throat. "What would you like to have?"

"A conversation," he said, his lips forming a smile.

"I'm sorry, that's not part of my service to you as a waitress. I have work to do, people to serve and most importantly, I have a work to do, to get paid. If you don't want to order anything, then I will go serve that woman over there," I said, gesturing my statement.

I turned to go. Mr Black held my hand and stood up. "Don't let me drag you. Just obey me. I hate when people disobey me."

And like an idiot, I followed him out of the restaurant. But standing outside the restaurant, I remembered Hernandez. He would definitely fire me if he finds me not in the restaurant and Evelyn's mum wouldn't be able to save me this time around.

"If you're worried about Hernandez, you shouldn't," Mr Black said, taking my hand we started walking to the car. And out of the blue came paparazzis and journalists.

"Mr Black, you have finally been spotted with a lady. You are even holding hands with her. Are you two now a couple? Have you finally ended your enmity with women? Can women now surround you?" a female journalist questioned.

Mr Black's bodyguard began to make way for Mr Black and I, so we could get to his car.

"Mr Black is she your girlfriend or your sister? No one knows if you have any female sister or mother, not even a female relative. We would like you to give us a hint," a male journalist said.

"We're reporting live on-"

"That's it. That's enough," Mr Black yelled. "My private life has nothing to do with you all."

His driver opened the door of Mr Black's Ferrari Enzo and I was ushered in by Mr Black. Then Mr Black entered too, and his driver shut the door. The journalist, the mass media, the reporters, the paparazzi, they didn't seem to be backing down. Even as the car drove, they still followed behind it.

"It will be dumb for you to kidnap me now," I said folding my hands.

He looked at me, with those blue eyes of his, that were able to drive any woman insane. "It will really be dumb to kidnap you. Why would I kidnap you?"

"Maybe, because I ignored your rules and came back to your company."

He nodded. "Aha, I see."

"You're clearly not seeing anything," I wanted to say.

"Well, I don't want to waste your time. I have an offer for you," he said eagerly.

"You have an offer for me?" I just couldn't believe it. Mr Black always had a mean face even when he smiled but this time around, he looked more like joker in suicide squad. He looked like a child playing a prank on an adult. Oh, what was I even thinking? And why the suspense? If he has something to say, he should say it.

He smiled again.

"I thought you hated women. Doesn't my presence hurt you or cause you to feel like throwing up."

"I dislike women, I have a problem with them, and that's why I steer clear of them."

"I would have believed that but I don't."

"Just know I'm not allergic to women and I only decided not to have any relationship with them. Not even a master and slave relationship."

"Why?" I saw his facial expression change from friendly to cold-blooded. I looked down at my hands immediately, they had turned pale. I looked back at him and swallowed hard. "I'm sorry I asked."

He stretched his hand to a document, he collected it. "Like I said, I have a job for you. If you agree to my terms and conditions, I will cover all the medical expenses of your father." He passed the document to me. "Go through it when you get home."

"Do you have any question to ask?" his smile was back on his lips, as he studied my face.

"I would have asked why you hate women but you won't give me an answer."

"Stop the car."

The car stopped.

Mr Black bent over and opened the door for me. "Get out of the car, I'm through with you."

"But you didn't answer my question," I protested.

Mr Black arched an eyebrow, with his smile stretching and said, "You really have an interesting inquisitive mind, and I like that."

Another sarcasm noted in his voice.

He tossed a bundle of money on my laps.

"That's two thousand dollars. I believe you can find your way back home, Wendy."

"I'm going back to the fast food not home, Mr Black," I said.

He nodded.

I came down from the car and closed the door, leaving Mr Black with a smirk on his face, as the car's window wind up. Why was he such an annoying jerk?