DESTINY

Olensi's Apartment

The city of Lavadome, on the planet Izion

Peter walked briskly down the steel walkway, lined with reinforced glass on either side, leading to his apartment just a five-minute stroll away from the supreme council building. He paused midway, leaning over the safety railing as his six-foot frame loomed above it. A single tear traced its way down his wrinkled, dry face. He exhaled forcefully through his nostrils and gazed skyward for guidance.

"Oh, Cari... why didn't you heed the warning?" Peter murmured to no one but the peculiar lava pigs that feasted on the grass near the lava stream. These strange creatures earned their name from their granite feet that could endure extreme heat. Even the tall grass they consumed appeared unfazed by the intense warmth emanating from the sluggish lava flow.

The rumbling of molten rock spewing from nearby volcanoes reverberated around him—just another ordinary day in Lavadome. The devastating event occurred nearly two years ago, but time's passage held no relevance for Peter. Cari had returned from a mission on Gorren and was awaiting clearance to land at Lavadome's base. While she was respected for her formidable negotiation skills in her profession, patience was not among her virtues. Tired of waiting, she proceeded to descend at Autun's landing pad—a suburban area in Lavadome's northern region—where conditions were equally challenging. Her final transmission indicated she was approaching her destination.

A pain seared through Peter's heart as he recalled the event. "Oh...I'm too short-tempered," she had told him after a heated argument with his second in command and in public, no less. The memory brought an unexpected smile to his face. He exhaled, turning his attention to the lava pigs grazing nearby. He thought she'd be by my side if I'd been firmer with her on base orders. Her craft was never found – a ghost that haunted Peter relentlessly.

As he steadied himself for the day ahead, Peter knew today marked an important milestone in Endorian history. He had to be strong; it's what Cari would have wanted. Their scientists and engineers had sacrificed so much over the decades to make this day possible.

Glancing at the security screen in the hallway, Peter spotted a familiar figure in the indoor garden waiting for him. His footsteps echoed against the cream-coloured marble floor as he walked towards it. Upon seeing Peter, Alan saluted and beamed with pride, "A historic day for our species!"

Peter lowered his gaze and clenched his teeth before replying, "Hana objected to my plan but had the good sense not to vote against it." Then, grabbing a bottle of champagne, he filled two glasses, preparing to celebrate their monumental achievement.

Alan, glass in hand, walked with Peter into the garden. He watched with bemusement as Peter emptied his glass. He thought he could even see the veins in his friend's neck pulsating—perhaps in joy or rage. Although Alan expected the upcoming Supreme Council meeting to be intense, he sensed an air of outrage from Peter.

The two had known each other since their time together at command school. From a young age, Peter worked tirelessly to improve his abilities, never satisfied with his current achievements. For him, perfection was just the starting point.

For Endorians, command school was dull and lacked challenges; evening classes nourished their minds with the knowledge they craved. In the senior evening classes, Peter achieved the highest grades since Otis Sanif—a legendary figure in the field of covenant teaching. To this day, it remains a mystery how he obtained that knowledge.

Hana believed Sanif had learned it from covenant plants, which acted as data storage units. But if that were true, how did he encounter them? According to their information, these plants could only be found on covenant starships. Even on his deathbed, Sanif refused to reveal his source. Peter, on the other hand, kept his opinions to himself. After all, some believed that god planets had sights and creatures only visible to the Covenant. Peter eventually climbed the military ranks and married Cari; they had a son by the time he was made general. His unconventional strategies sparked controversy amongst the military elite.