GOLDEN SANDS

Covenant Command Base

In the city of Skytron

With the scent of coffee lingering in the air, Nathan carefully sipped from his steaming cup, eyes scanning his flight screen. A strange feeling gripped him as he stared at Skytron's security dome. This imposing,five-mile-wide protective barrier fragmented the sky overhead.

A palpable tension hung in the air, a constant reminder of the uneasy relations between Sunterria and Gorren. Nathan couldn't help but steal glances at his rear-view monitor as an oddly majestic sight approached his craft, a Covenant drone reminiscent of a colossal daisy head. The sun's rays gleamed off its long, steel-white petals as they vibrated softly, emitting a low hum from its underbelly.

As the drone began working on opening an aperture within the dome, Nathan distracted himself by reviewing Gorren-related updates. The headlines did little to alleviate his growing anxiety: "Heavily armed robots patrolling the streets," "Blazing fighter crafts piercing the sky daily." The public was understandably alarmed; Nathan speculated on their reaction when they inevitably learned about another species living amongst them.

An alert chimed from his control screen, instructions to follow the drone leading him to the landing pad; oddly, it was half full. With a heavy sigh and a deep nostalgia for simpler times, Nathan brought his craft in for a gentle landing on pad 1. He was soon met by an elite guard who silently escorted him towards towering golden doors that swung open upon their arrival. "Good morning, Elite Officer Jayden," Nathan greeted politely.

"Greetings, Nathan. Freesun is expecting you on Level Ten."

At the mention of Level Ten, Nathan's eyebrows arched in surprise. Lucky me, he mused; humans were seldom granted access to that restricted area. His eyes widened with anticipation as he trailed Jayden to the elevator, unable to contain his excitement at being allowed into the park garden - an exclusive domain for the Covenant. As they rode the elevator silently, the level indicator increased while Jayden remained tight-lipped until the doors glided open onto the fabled park garden. "Freesun, Officer Riggs has arrived," he announced before retreating into the closing elevator.

"Over here, Nathan," came a familiar voice. Nathan was filled with wonder and disbelief as he strolled down a pathway lined with gemstone slabs and vibrant flowers that seemed to sway in sync with his steps. The flora seemed almost conscious and appeared to move as he did.

But what truly captivated him was Freesun seated on a ruby bench beside a meandering stream. Its serene flow revealed gleaming red, blue, and green specks gracing the petals of tall flowers on its banks. Nathan caught his breath in awe and confusion - this couldn't possibly be Level Ten; that stream extends for miles! So where in the world am I? he wondered. As Nathan's curiosity drew him to the towering waterfall, he felt a wave of vertigo wash over him. The water cascaded tantalisingly close to the stream below, disappearing into a shroud of mist just inches away. Despite the awe it inspired, he resolved to keep it a secret from Mila and Tylan - their incessant inquiries about visiting the exclusive park garden echoed in his mind.

"It's for Covenant only," he'd rebuffed them time and time again, though their persistence never wavered.

A warm smile spread across Nikolai's face, clearly elating that Nathan was enjoying the garden. "Greetings, Nathan. I'm so glad you came," he said.

Nathan returned the smile, nodding in approval. "This place is magical," he remarked.

"I can focus better in this environment than outside," Nikolai explained.

To Nathan, the garden seemed very much like an outdoor landscape. The winding pathway and sporadic fruit trees stretched beyond sight. If there were boundaries, they remained invisible to him. Still, he couldn't shake the unsettling darkness beneath Freesun's eyes.