CODE BLUE

The City of Lavadome

Military command Base

Officers sat at their desks in the Command Room, intently watching traffic enter and exit Lavadome on their screens. Various alerts flashed on the main screen - just another typical day at work for those on duty. Commander Nelson studied an alert carefully; it was just the usual volcano activity warning in the area. It wasn't uncommon for craft landing and take-off to be delayed or cancelled due to seismic activity.

A young officer approached Nelson and asked, "Sir, have you decided on my request?"

Nelson eyed the inexperienced officer with disdain. Fresh out of senior Command School, she expected a comfortable job overseeing the children of high-ranking Supreme Council members. At only eighteen years old, she saw being stationed at the Command Base as dull work compared to working at labs or monitoring Command School students. To his annoyance, there were several positions available.

With a grunt, Nelson said, "I'm granting your request. You'll escort Sam Eliot to and from Command School starting Monday."

The officer released a soft moan in response but immediately straightened herself upon noticing Nelson's glare.

"Is there a problem, officer?" he asked.

Trying to maintain eye contact, she replied, "No, Commander. I was hoping for security detail."

Nelson grinned, unable to suppress his admiration for her audacity. She was remarkably composed and headstrong and expected to secure a job within the most heavily guarded building in the Gorren Planetary System. He was impressed by her confidence, convinced that she would do well in her career. "We'll have to start somewhere, officer," he said, looking sternly at her. He handed her a file and was about to head to the coffee machine when a high-pitched sound from the command computer's speakers assaulted his ears.

As per usual protocol, a red flashing light would flicker above their heads, followed by the computer announcing the reason for the alert. Nelson gasped for breath on seeing the colour of the light that flashed above them; his blood rushed to his head, causing a heavy sensation in his chest. To alleviate the discomfort, he opened the top button of his shirt. Officers around him were frozen like blocks of ice; their eyes fixated on the pulsating blue lights. Finally, the command computer sprang to life as if it, too, was stunned by the severity of the circumstance. "Emergency! Code Blue. Unidentified Covenant craft on approach."

"It can't be," he exclaimed to his CMO sitting on his left. "Henderson! Is it a starship?"

Henderson quickly scanned the data on his screen. "Hell, sir... it's cloaked, but the area of disturbance is too small for a starship. It's got to be one of their carriers."

Nelson exhaled with relief that it wasn't a starship. However, his anger persisted. "Why the hell is it cloaked?" he demanded, clenching his fists tightly. "Inform Neil that we are under a code blue," Nelson added sharply.

"I believe the Covenant is upset with us after detecting one of their devices at our labs. Their sudden arrival seems to be a sign of their anger," said Henderson as he sent an encrypted alert to their research labs a few miles away.

Nelson wiped the sweat off his forehead, nervously eyeing the red switch on his desk panel. He often wondered what it would be like to be the Commander who had to press it; he stared at it with trepidation-slowly, realising that he'd be the one pushing it. With that sobering thought, he faced Henderson and inquired. "What's their estimated time of arrival?"

"Seven minutes." Henderson's unease grew as if ice picks were being plunged deep into the back of his neck. "Commander! This situation could escalate quickly!"