Prologue Part 1

Y/N L/N = Your name, last name
H/T = Hometown

This was it.
You tried to shake off the dreary feeling from your nightmare, refusing to think of the weight of the paranoia, the weight of the eyes from behind you. You never used to have nightmares, but you figure moving away from home must be scaring you more than you thought. You've certainly had bad dreams, but nothing close to this.
In reality, you weren't moving that far away from H/T. Nockfell was only an hour away, and with the perks of having a beautiful highschool and college. Or, at least, it was beautiful to you. Others may say it looked like the school was falling apart, or possibly unnerving. You wouldn't exactly say why, but that drawed you to it even more. Regardless, the scenery around was undeniably beautiful. It was a lovely day for a car ride, and you sway ever so slightly, gently headbanging with your father to whats on the car radio. You tried not to feel sad. You were 17, it was almost the end of summer vacation before you became a senior in highschool. Your father got accepted for a much needed job far away, but the nearest highschool was an hour drive. He wouldnt have been able to make it to work on time. You insisted you could find some cheap apartments in the town and manage to pay for one yourself with a fast food gig and finish your education, if it meant he'd be able to take this job and possibly even retire early. He very reluctantly agreed, but you wanted to do that for him. He promised he'd financially support you if you couldn't manage. So after sorting out the legality of that, you both managed.

You were lucky. The closest highschool had accepted you, and was in walking distance to an apartment complex as well as a really nice community college that you definitely could get into. Not to mention, tons of places were hiring.

Even so, it was definitely a lot. You don't even feel sane. But some days, that was easier to forget than others.
Hearing your fathers voice brought you back to reality. ¨Are you excited for your first day? I know it's not for a week or two, but you must be thinking about it.¨ He looks skeptical, and you can see by the look in his eyes that hes worried about you.
¨Yeah, I wonder if anyone from H/T will come here for college. I'm grateful one of the apartments was open, though," you remind him. That played a big part. ¨Yeah, but you've seen the rumors on why. Just remember you can always come home for weekends if the place freaks you out.¨ You chuckle lightheartedly. ¨I'm not even there yet, Dad! But I know. I'm visiting every few weeks anyway, you know that.¨ He still looked disappointed, even though you planned to find a job in his town after college. ¨I know, but I'll still miss you.¨ ¨I'll miss you too.¨ And with that, the car ride fell mostly silent again, except for the light rock and roll coming from the speakers and the bristling of the wheels on the road.
Saying goodbye to your dad was hard. Getting the kind welcomes from your neighbors definitely made things a bit better. Maybe it'll be nice, living in an area like this. The scenery truly was immaculate. The apartments seemed weirdly desolate, abandoned even. Well kept, but it felt like something was missing. Like the once lively rooms were less occupied than they once were. You felt strange pulls at your heart, wondering who might've lived here in the past, and where they are now. Many of the places in Nockfell are within walking distance to your apartment, including your highschool. You decided it'd be for the best to look around after putting your stuff down, introducing yourself to the others in the apartment that seemed to be broke college students that were too introverted to get a dorm with somebody else. ¨At least it's not gonna be just me,¨ you think to yourself. The apartment fit all of your things perfectly, you were very happy with how it turned out, it looked much cozier and homier than before. You felt homesick, but you felt homesick before you even moved, so it was nothing new to you. You figured you'd go explore the area a bit and introduce yourself.
Big surprise, introductions were forced. After all, there was a reason you didn't feel fond of having a roommate in thr future. After knocking on a few doors and awkwardly stumbling on your words each time, you were right about the people here. Just a few broke college students that needed a place to stay, and they were friendly. You were at your last door and were about to raise your hand to knock, but the door opened before you could. There were whispers inside that you couldn't quite hear, but they felt cold, cold in a ghostly sense but warm. You could almost tell they weren't alive, but yet here they were, welcoming you in a language you couldn't understand. The apartment was completely normal, aside from a few stains and smells here and there. It was clear it hasn't been lived in for a long time. You didn't want to go snooping around for too long, so after briefly looking around and ignoring the presence you could feel on your trail, you can't help but notice something. ¨Holy shit, this is old. This is really old, is this.. is it called a gearboy?¨ It was broken, or at least, the glass was cracked to infinity and beyond, in the corner of the room. It looks like someone tried to hide it, and would've successfully if it wasn't glowing bright green. ¨I wonder how it even has charge. It'd look cool next to my vintage CDS and record player.¨ You figure no one would miss it. After all, it probably didn't even work aside from turning on. You pick it up, and by the time you already closed the door, you had seen something flash in the corner of your eye. ¨What the fuck was-¨ Oh. The door locked automatically as you closed it. ¨Guess that answers my question, then.¨ You gently put the gearboy in your backpack, trying not to get broken glass embedded into its fabric. You truthfully did believe in the paranormal. Which is why you decided this place was awesome, and you just had to check out the graveyard right next door, and familiarize yourself with who lived here, who died here, beyond just the rumors.