Prologue Part 3

The whispers kept going, even after you put your bag down in your apartment and laid on your couch. You were going to do what that ghost lady said tomorrow. You were exhausted. Ashley did connect herself to the gameboy, but no matter the farther away you put it, the whispers never stopped, and you could hear her. She was only one of them, one of three voices. You had been away from H/T, your homesickness was almost nauseating. Or at least that's what you assume it is.

"They're so close to the barrier…¨ ¨it isn't safe. Will time here stop?¨ ¨but it's helping pull them back through…¨ ¨is something helping? At least they won't be hurt-¨ you groan. You want to tell them to shut up and let you sleep, but they seem so troubled. You brew a pot of coffee and mentally curse them out. You were still pondering on if you should even help them. After all, you don't know the extent of what you have to do and are hearing that it's dangerous- or, something is- from the whispers themselves. But ghosts were known to lie to you, to trick you and possess you. They were known to intentionally hurt people for their own benefit, and listening to one's instructions, word for word, probably was not a good idea. But you figured, you could at least talk to the girl Ashley told you of. And besides, sleeping was a lost cause.

You had to fight everything in you not to blindly trust that girl. You don't know why you had to fight not to, but you did.

You put sugar and milk in the entire pot of coffee and decide to take it with you in the biggest water bottle you had. You mostly got it for all nighters studying, but highschool won't start for a couple weeks, and that'd when you'll be applying for jobs as well. You slowly walk back to that apartment that originally made you so uncomfortable, procrastinating approaching that door for a second time. This time, though, the door was still closed, but it wasn't locked anymore. You wonder if perhaps it was the electromagnetic energy the gameboy gave off connecting to the lock, especially with all the paranormal activity here. You went in. In the main room, you held the gameboy close, trying not to tremble. You really were scared this was going to be one of the bad cases. Even so, you called out to that girl. ¨I heard there was a girl in here. A girl that knows a ¨Sally¨.¨ You hear humming coming from the bathroom. Well, that's terrifying. You follow the humming, though. The girl had already appeared, so thankfully, you didn't need to see the visual that Ashley had when she left. She was looking at you blankly, with pale eyes and purple hair. She was just a little one. You felt a pang in your heart. Damn it, why did it have to be a child? Now you have to trust her. ¨Hi! I´m Megan! Did you say you know Sally?¨ At least she seemed happy, despite her situation.

¨O-Oh. I´m Y/N. Uhm, kind of. Someone named Ashley told me to come here, and that you know him.¨ You mentally curse yourself for stuttering. She's just a child, but here you are, freaking out.

¨You know Ashley too? That's great! I don´t know where Sally is, though. He wasn't able to leave his…¨ she stopped. She doesn't seem sure of if she should tell you whatever is on her mind.

¨Oh, thats okay. Could I maybe ask your mother if she knows how I can get to him? Ashley seemed very worried.¨ 

¨Wait, are you Y/N L/N?¨ 

¨Y-Yeah.¨

¨…Oh. You. Look familiar…¨   

¨So I've heard,¨ you attempt to chuckle, albeit forced. Even the little girl knew about you? You must be famous in the ghost world. 

¨So Ashley told you!¨ she beams. She's so happy to be able to do her demonstration. She makes a funny gesture, reaching out both of her arms as far as she can to make a point. ¨You´re here talking to me, when you should be conscious waaay over there! But something… happened. That shouldn't have. You met them, but now you didn´t. You must be so lost but my mommy can help you!¨

¨H-how can that happen? Also, do you know what year it is?¨ It was worth trying, right?

¨I dunno. But it's 2023! Can you believe it? I did the math all by myself!¨ She just smiled at you brightly. She was adorable. You´ve gotta help her friends now. ¨Mommy said if you ever came to wait in the living room for her,¨ she says.
Is that what you saw in the corner of your eye that day?

Well, regardless, you agree, thanking the little girl profusely. She looked very proud of herself to be able to help you. As soon as you step into the living room, she was already there; in the exact spot you saw the shift the first time you left this apartment.

¨Well, did Megan tell you everything you need to know?¨ she sounded… not impatient, but, antsy.

¨Almost, what are we doing?¨ you ask carefully. You still weren't completely positive about this.

¨ I´m going to… lead you to the place where you can help them. Ashley and...¨ She was being careful with your words. Extremely careful. She seemed friendly, but…

 ¨…Am I going to come back?¨

 ¨…Well, you will stay here. Nothing will change, here, anyways. Nothing will have happen, after all.¨ She looked like she was being completely truthful, though you were confused, you ultimately decided you can trust her; mostly because Megan said so.

¨Then take me. Ashley deserves to be at peace.¨ you say. She nodded, taking you by the hand to the best of her ability; she mostly led you, as her hand went right through yours. She led you just outside the door. It didn't seem like she could go any farther.

¨You haven't changed at all, from what I've heard. So, I´m sorry for this.¨ You had literally no time to react. She slams you into the opposing wall, hard. You thought it would've killed you, except you moved, quicker than you´ve ever moved before, with your body completely still. You were staring at it in first person, and it slowly disappeared as though it was moving farther away, but you realized it was you moving. And yet, you were back in the apartments. Against the wall, opposite to that apartment door, that got slammed shut. What the fuck?