Chapter 2

"What the hell?" You didn't mean to curse near your new friends, but it came out. You could barely even feel the key. How strange. You managed to pick it up for a second before it fell. Stupid piece of slippery metal. You kneel down to get it, but your hand just kept sliding around it. You hold in more curses as you realize Larry just came over and tried to shove you. "What the hell was that for? It's not my fault Sal had his sweaty ass hands on my key," oops. You forgot that strangers may not realize you were trying to be funny. Although, at least these strangers did.
"Sal, is your gearboy going off?"
"No."
You just realized what Sal had in his hand. It just looked like yours, but it wasn't broken. Larry glances at you again, skepticism in his eyes. "So, like, are you just a really clumsy karate master or something?" Larry says. Sal chuckles. At least they were trying to lighten the atmosphere, even though Larry didn't look like he trusted you. You already gave up trying to get the key.
"I'm only one of those things and I'm not saying which one," you reply. Sals eyes were squinted but he wasn't smiling anymore. They didn't have happy creases, and Larry just looked focused. They both kept glancing towards the gearboy; you were about to ask what was wrong but Larry just tried to shove you again.
"Piss off," you tried shoving him back with all your weight and fell straight through him.
That wasn't smart.
You fell flat on your face and now they were laughing at you. They did stop rather quickly, Sal first and asked if you were okay.
"I mean. Yeah. But what the fuck dude I thought you said I had epic karate skills."
"I said it was a possibility." Larry gave a half-hearted laugh. It was clear he was shaken up.
"Oh. Oh my God, I'm sorry. I don't know about... you know, any of that. You're uncomfortable. Here, you can go home, I know it's late, and I'll find somewhere else to stay," you offer. You didn't want him to feel pressed to stay there after what just happen.
You just fell through him.
Of course he was freaked out.
You'd handle this on your own.
"After what just happened? No way, we can't leave you alone. This is really weird." "Yeah. Let's see if Todd finds anything wrong with the gearboy. It hasn't gone off once, even when we passed the graveyard," Sal mentions. So they did believe in it. It seems they had one too. But there was so much to explain, and it was so late. They must want to sleep.
The walk back to the apartments had little conversation.
"What do we do about this for now?" Larry asks. He still looks a little freaked out.
"Well I don't know but I must say that's the first time I've gotten to third base," you said. He looked at you and started laughing.
"Damn Sal, they do no better than you," he says in between laughs.
"What the fuck Larry," Sal turns away, trying to hide his prosthetic from your views. You couldnt help but smile. He muttered something about staying on topic and continued off Larry's last question, who was cackling to himself.
"I don't know if we should risk leaving them alone. No one else can even see them, and how would they be able to open their own door?"
"I can walk through it," you mention. You went through Larry, after all.
"You can't go through surfaces. If you could you would've gone through the floor and did that freaky shit ghosts do," Larry said.
"I'm not a ghost." It sounded like you were angry when you said that, but in reality, that thought scared you. What if you broke your neck when you got shoved? What if that wasn't a dream and this is all an illusion from the chemicals that death itself was releasing into your brain?
"You don't look too convinced of that," Larry mentioned. You look up from the ground at him and glared, albeit by accident. "A lot has happen, its probably 2am by now and you're making me paranoid," you replied. "I'm sorry, we werent trying to. I don't think you're a ghost." Sal spoke up rather quickly. He continued, "but something weird is going on and I don't know if we should leave you alone. For your safety and..." "and the fact we don't know if we can trust you yet." Larry's sudden words made your heart drop. You did understand, though. Sal lightly punched him on the shoulder, but even if he didn't say so, it was an unspoken agreement. They decided on bringing you to your apartment and calling Todd in the morning. They told you they'd bring you to the basement around noon.
"I feel like I'm being escorted by the police for doing a crime I had no idea I even did." You chuckled lightly. At least they were trying to help. They looked apologetic. You did understand.
"Be glad you don't have any plans for a couple weeks. Todd isn't going to want you to do much that could risk things getting worse."
"Worse?"
"Yeah, like the fact we're the only ones who seem able to see you. Since the gearboy can't detect you, we don't want that to change."
Your head still really hurted and the anxiety wasn't helping.
"I really appreciate it. I don't know why you care so much, though," you said.
"Curiosity, really." Sal was trying to joke with you, and Larry scoffed at him mockingly. "I thought you were such a gentleman, Sal. But, you seem cool and it'd suck if I had to lose a new friend that already said they'd headbang with me to sanity falls on the first day I met them. Can't break a promise." You didnt promise that, but you go with it. "Mhm. Plus, we have to make sure this isn't dangerous or anything," Sal mentioned, "But, yeah, I guess it'd be nice having a new friend to headbang with." He squinted at you. "I might not be able to get into my own apartment but at least I can still headbang," you stated. You made it to your apartment, Sal letting you in. "Well, au revoir!" You waved, assuming they'd leave.
"You really did just move in, huh?" Larry says, taking in his surroundings. They weren't much.
"Hey, I packed light. Let me sleep," you said.
"The only things in here is a couch, a backpack and a coffee machine." Sal remarks.
"I'm literally in highschool, you think I can afford a tv? And I'll be able to get a bed tomorrow."
"Do you at least have food?" Sal asks. He's really caring about someone he barely knows.
"Doubt ill be able to eat it, but no, I was going to go grocery shopping tomorrow."
"Jesus christ. Come here." Sal gestures out of the apartment. You follow him reluctantly with Larry. "You can stay at my apartment. I doubt you've even had dinner." "No. I just met you. I do appreciate what you're doing, but no. That could be very dangerous for both of us," you remark.
"What? But- Larry, back me up!" He was at a loss for words but wasn't going down without a fight.
Larry paused but shook his head. "Sorry Sal, but they have a point. We shouldn't pressure them."
"What if Larry comes? Plus I have a cat. And we'd fall right through you if we tried to hurt you." He kept trying to convince you, but you didn't see it as creepy, you just thought his heart may be too big for his own good.
"You have a cat? I mean- no! Well- Ugh, I'm not answering that, now you're putting that on him."
"Slumber party?" Larry's voice that was usually quite deep for a teenager went high pitched. You couldnt help but start laughing.
"Oh my god. I'll go but only because I forgot neither of you can even hurt me. And my apartment gives me the creeps."
You didn't want to admit it, but your diet consisted of dinner only and you did miss dinner with everything going on. You just hoped you'd be able to actually pick up a fork.