Close encounters - Chapter 1

"...don't tell me you're chickening out now." Your friend's voice snaps you out of your thoughts, making you look back at the two young women sitting on the hood of a car.

Alex, the taller one, raises her fake knife and starts pointing between you and the imposing building behind you. She - as well as the rest of you - is wearing her Halloween costume, her blue overalls are unzipped, the Michael Myers mask in hand.

A very fitting Halloween costume, really.

"Well, it is technically trespassing so forgive me for having 'second thoughts'." You argue back, taking your own mask off while you're at it. For this year's Halloween costume, you went with a classic, Ghostface look. You know you look killer in those black robes, but you wish the mask was a bit easier to breathe in.

"Now you worry about the law? Not when we were speeding down an empty highway to get here?" Your other friend, Kate, asks. She's not even looking at you and instead is just biting the nails she had especially done for her Harley Quinn. "At least I wasn't drunk, so that's that."

"I am!" Alex quips, her head falling onto the other woman's shoulder. You roll your eyes, already knowing what's about to come. "But I don't have to be drunk to tell you that you look beautiful in the moonlight, love."

Kate blushes at her girlfriend's comment and you make a puking sound as the two of them smooch. It's already bad enough that you have to third wheel for them on a regular basis, but them being in love AND drunk? That is simply too much for a loner like you.

"Can you two please stop making out so that we can get back to the party?" You whine, wanting to be anywhere but here at the moment.

"You're in no place to whine, bro." Kate sends you a toothy grin as she looks away from her girlfriend. "Your dare was simple; Make out with a random person at the party or suffer."

"But you have chosen death." Adds Alex, once again enthusiastically swinging her fake knife.

"Not my fault people there were..." You trail off, trying to come up with a better excuse than 'I was too scared'. "...boring."

"The girl in Sidney Prescott was making heart eyes at you, dude!!!" Alex shakes her head and jumps off the hood, walking up to you before putting a hand on your shoulder. "You had your chance. Now you have to face the music." She turns you around, making it so that you're facing that dreaded building again. "Two hours there or making out with a stranger. The choice was simple and you chose the former."

You bite your lip before you voice another stupid excuse. You've embarrassed yourself enough, the least you can do is obey the ancient rules of truth or dare, and simply...

Do the dare.

"Fine." You sigh, and Alex makes a little triumphant gesture before walking back to the car. "You two better not leave me here though, I'm only leaving you the keys so that you don't freeze."

"We'll wait, don't worry. We'll keep ourselves occupied for two hours." Kate sends you a wink and you once again regret having enough critical thinking skills to know exactly what she means.

You look away from your friends, once again gaze shifting to the structure in front of you. The blinking neon sign of the animatronic bear with a top head seems to stare right back.

Time to spend two hours at Freddy's.

...it doesn't sound nearly as cool as you thought.

Without further ado, you walk through the mostly open parking lot to the back door of the Pizzeria, ready to do the same trick you've been doing since you were a young teen.