Ch7 - Echoes of Justice

Serena's Point of View

Once again I found myself in Monsieur Neuvillette's office, humming a song for him so that he'll calm himself down. Truth is, he is the Hydro Sovereign, the one that everyone sings to when it rains. The old Nursery song nobody knows it's origin of.

After I was done singing the last tune, it seemed as if the sudden rain that took over Fontaine had finally stopped. It was already dark outside, though when I ran off from Lyney, Lynette and Freminet it was already Twilight.

Ran off... Running off had become one of my traits in the past years, all I ever did was run off. But I came to the realization that Running off will not do me any good. I have failed Justice, now I shall face the repercussions...

"Feeling any better, Monsieur Neuvillette?" I asked with a gentle smile on my face. He hummed as a response and that is all I needed to know that he's much better now.

Even his distressed face had changed into a more stoic expression, which is also a response that he's feeling much better than he has been.

"If that is all, then I shall take my leave." I turned my heel and started walking towards the door to his office. Silence, uttermost silence while he was seated on his chair behind his desk, his hands clasped in front of him as his eyes watched me walking towards the door, I could feel them watch my every move.

Deep down I knew that me and him had a discussion open in regards to me leaving, and me constantly avoiding my duties as a Princess of an entire nation. My intuition has been telling me it had to be now, otherwise It'll become worse. Once this secret mission is over, what will I do? Go back to the Casa and hide myself there like a Princess in a large tower?

I finally walked up to the doors that lead out of his office, hesitantly I reached for the handles to open them when he suddenly spoke, "Lady Serena."

Immediately I turned around and faced him, I looked at him from afar with a gracious smile that I somehow managed to bring upon myself, "Yes, Chief Justice?" I simply answered.

"I never got to thank you." Neuvillette said and stood up from his seat. He walked up to me and I felt my heart start to beat faster and faster. Immediately I started walking up to him, "Thank me for what?" I simply stated, somehow still keeping my composure.

"For everything you've always done." Monsieur Neuvillette said while still keeping a stoic expression. "Trials have become rather boring without you being there." He added.

I felt a wave hit through me in the dimly lit office room, I somehow still kept my smile. Unwavering as usual. I looked at Monsieur Neuvillette and saw his expression, it had changed from the stoic one to one with a slight smile.

"Maybe you should attend one soon, it's been a while since you were somebody's attorney after all." He walked up closer to me. I to looked down from shame. 'How can he expect me to become somebody's attorney, when I'm failing them completely?' I thought to myself. My mind went immediately to Callas, he would never have beeb a culprit of such a crime... I knew him very well, it just cannot be.

He might have been stubborn but going as far a guaranteed death?! He died and never told anyone the reason, that fact haunts me at night. It haunts me to the point where I sometimes do not sleep... Let alone the other injustices that have occurred and I just let them happen.