REUNION

Nathan, Hayley, and the children settled into their apartment next to the imposing Covenant Command Base. Unsurprisingly, an eerie silence hung in the air, given that half the block stood vacant. Tourists were too frightened to visit Sunterria these days. Although Gorren wasn't any safer, it was at least familiar. Unfortunately for Tylan, many friends wouldn't attend his noon birthday party at Club Broken Star.

Tylan had pinned his hopes on Rici being there, but those hopes vanished with a disappointing message. Rici's father had taken a job in Hope, a city on distant Orlenzo - an entire two-week journey from Gorren, and they'd be gone for eight months.

Despite his disappointment, Tylan couldn't help but feel excited as he followed his family into the vibrant club. Colourful banners and balloons nestled among potted plants, defying the sombre atmosphere outside. Spotting Arron at a table nearby helped lift Tylan's spirits further; Rici's absence wouldn't completely ruin the day.

Approaching his father next to a stack of presents, Tylan noticed Nathan holding a small, beautifully wrapped package. He hurriedly tore away the wrapping paper to reveal a brand-new T-50 communicator. His face shone like a brilliant star streaking across Sunterria's sky.

"Wow, Dad! How did you find it?" Tylan exclaimed as he strapped the device onto his wrist. "I checked with many companies - they all said they were sold out."

Nathan chuckled warmly before planting a tender kiss on his son's forehead. He owed Raden for tracking down such an elusive gadget at the last minute. "Happy birthday, son," he said with affection. "Believe me; finding this T-50 was harder than searching for a needle in a haystack!" With a warm and inviting smile, Hayley called everyone over, allowing Tylan to cut the cake. The party had a low-key atmosphere, which perfectly suited the modest celebration. It struck Tylan as strange that Colonel Zinci was conspicuously absent from the table. An unwelcome reminder played at the back of his mind: all Gorren officers were effectively banned from Sunterria, save for a few rare exceptions. Later on, the gift-opening portion continued. Tylan unwrapped his unopened presents with excitement under the watchful eyes of Mila and Arron.

Regarding Freesun's gift, Tylan proceeded with far more caution than he did with his parents present. Carefully unveiling the contents revealed a tiny blue flower, its petals encrusted with dazzling rubies. He offered a grateful wave and thumbs-up to Freesun, who sat in a corner beside Jayden, facing the picturesque beach. He made a mental note to store this valuable treasure delicately for safekeeping.

Rici had not forgotten about Tylan either, gifting him the most recent set of Starfleet card packs. An enthusiastic tap on his shoulder caught his attention as he continued examining his new acquisitions. Spinning around, he met an excited Arron, who asked, "Shall we go to the beach?"

Together, they traversed a captivating pathway of purple slabs to the warm golden sand beneath their feet. The afternoon sun radiated overhead, causing the sand to sizzle pleasantly beneath them. Eager to explore this long-awaited place for himself, Arron lamented that his mother could not join them on this adventure due to legal restrictions. He knew they could enjoy it together once those tedious formalities were resolved.

As Arron took in his surroundings, he marvelled at the sizeable ruby fragments that protruded from the sunlit sand, their radiant glow seemingly casting an enchanting spell over this magical scene. As his lashes fluttered, he darted toward the rock pool, with the others trailing behind. He marvelled at the dark golden sand glistening beneath him. Mysterious flecks of red and blue glinted among the crushed gems embedded in the hallowed grains, casting an ethereal sheen. A lump formed in his throat as anticipation swirled within him. Kneeling, he ran his fingers through the sun-warm, prickly sand, which seemed to crackle with life, sending tiny charges through the hairs on his hands. "I'm on a god planet!" he exclaimed, joy filling his voice.