Chapter 9: That's a pretty interesting hobby

Kento looked over at Yuji who sat on the sofa in the room they were currently residing in. The boy looked very much distraught by the revelation.

Kumagawa sat opposite to him, reading the new issue of Weekly Shounen Jump. He'd like to think he was putting an brave front for Yuji, but he knew the third year sorcerer was just that unsymphatetic.

Of course, they had to make sure of the facts for. That's why they were on a call with Shouko, who they send the corpses to.

Shouko:Yes, they're humans. No, I suppose ex-humans would be a more appropiate term. They're like the corpses found in the teather, their bodies were contorted through sorcery.

Kento:If that was the case, I'd have noticed. It's different, their bodies were filled with cursed energy like a curse spirit.

Shouko:That must be an effect of the culprit's Technique. Their brain stems were changed as well, creating a state of perpetual confusion. There's undeniably a relation between someone's brain and the ability to use cursed energy, although much of it is still unkown.

Kumagawa:[The corpses found in the teather and those that attacked us are different, but the culprit is undeniably the same. The main difference is the time frame they were contorted. By thise clues we can deduce that the one responsable for those transformations was experimenting with their Technique. That would mean they're an newly awakened Curse User...]

Kento:...Or a recently born Cursed Spirit.

Kumagawa:[But it's sure quite a Technique. If it can even chamge the brain structure, that'd mean they could make a regular person able to use cursed energy.]

Shouko:I doubt the preparator would actually do something to help us.

Kumagawa:[Yes, they don't seem the type. Well, by what we know anyway.]

Shouko:Before I forget, is Itadori there?

Yuji:Ah, yes.

Shouko:Listen close, the cause of death for those guys is...Shock from having their bodies contorted. You didn't kill them.

Yuji:Yes...Either way, their deaths weight heavy on me. Even so...This hobby is just terrible.

Opposite to Kumagawa, Yuji is a very emphatic individual with a sense of good and evil. That's why such a thing angered him greatly, if the veines popping on forehead weren't enough to point it out.

Kumagawa:[Although we took into consideration both options, the second one is most likely.]

Yuji:Ah, I wanted to ask. What are the Curse Users you were talking about?

Kento:In short, their people capable of using cursed energy that operate outside of the Jujutsu society. They mostly work as assasins or use their Cursed Techniques in some other selfish way over for personal gain rather than exorcising curses.

Yuji:I guess there'd be people like that too.

Kumagawa:[Although it'd most likely a curse, it is quite curious.]

Yuji:How so.

Kumagawa:[Having a Cursed Technique and planning ahead means it must be a Special Grade. But at the end of the day, cursed spirits are ideas given form by the accumulation of cursed energy and their Cursed Technique is based around that. That does leave a question.]

Kento:Just what is the source of this curse's birth?

Yuji:...I see, that's really complicated.

Kento:Haaah, it doesn't seem like we're gonna finish this mission any time soon. Let's go.