Regretful Past

They met back in kindergarten. They started out like how most friendships did. Through hate.

She hated her.

And she hated her.

She thought she was reckless and careless. And loud.

She thought the other was entitled and selfish. And rich.

They were both right.

Over the years, they had formed a strong bond. Min Jaeri came from a working class family while Kim Heejae, on the other hand, was the daughter of one of the richest businessmen at the time.

They were very different but very close.

They want through school together, sticking with each other through thick and thin. They grew up together. They thought of the other as a sister.

Jaeri then met Jung Joonhyung when they were in high school. She somehow found herself very intrigued by him. He was tall, pale, and beautiful. The kind of guys she hated. He had been a part of a small band while in school. She only came to their performances because Heejae had a crush on their lead singer.

She'd find his eyes on her in the crowd and roll her eyes with a smirk. For someone who was so shy and timid, he didn't seem so when with her.

At a celebration party his band had thrown, they had gotten drunk enough to acknowledge their feelings. Heejae threw a fit when she found out her friend slept with him.

"How do you not remember something so important!" she exploded.

She had shrugged. "We'll have more opportunities. Don't worry, I'll remember one day."

By the time they graduated, they had been dating for two years already.

Heejae's family had immediately sent her off to business school. Jaeri wasn't as lucky. She didn't get the opportunity to go to college. Her father was a gambler and had lost his family all their savings and their house. Jaeri's mother had had enough and took Jaeri's little brother with her and ran off to Canada with a rich man.

Jaeri had decided she could not spend her whole life living under her father's debt. And so, she decided to run away. But, she couldn't survive on her.

Joonhyung's mother was never a fan of him. His older siblings were all smart, rich, and successful. She thought he was throwing his life away with music. She never bothered to give him a chance. And he was sick of it.

And so, they decided together.

"You get to play, and I get to paint. It's perfect," Jaeri had said. He had laughed and took her hand, pulling her into him.

They spent two years together, living their best life.

Whenever they met up, Heejae grew jealous. She wished she could have their freedom.

Her parents had pulled her out of school. Her grades didn't please them. They set her up with an arranged marriage to a man 12 years older than her.

That day at the beach, Heejae had wanted to tell Jaeri she was getting married. But then, the news came out. Jaeri was pregnant.

Heejae didn't want her to worry and decided to keep quiet. They didn't meet for months after that. Heejae had gotten married and lived under the roof of a man who hurt her every day. She had no way out.

Jaeri was fast approaching her delivery date and kept trying to contact her best friend. Her and Joonhyung had gotten married out on the beach. She had called Heejae to be their only witness. She never showed up.