Chapter 8

3 days later, after Surtagley's defeat. Soulas was in his office doing his work. Until he hears a knock on his door.

Soulas: Come in.

The door opened, revealing Clorinde walking to him

Clorinde: Greetings, Soulas.

Soulas: You too, Clorinde.

Clorinde stood next to him

Clorinde: Isn't that the newspaper from Charlotte?

Soulas turned to her

Soulas: Oh yes, last morning, Charlotte, who wanted an interview with me for defeating the Old Regime and wouldn't take no for an answer. So I took the time for it, and she wrote, "The Chancellor of Fontaine repels the evil of the Old Regime and dispells them for their sins."

Clorinde laughed a bit

Clorinde: That's Charlotte for you.

Soulas smiled a bit

Soulas: Yeah.

Clorinde: You've been busy lately. Do you want to take a walk with me?

Soulas got up from his seat

Soulas: Sure.

They've both went out to walk around in Fontaine for a few hours. They took their tea for their break and went out to the Chioriya Boutique for Clorinde to see the clothes design.

???: Well, if it isn't Soulas and Clorinde.

They both turned around and saw the owner named Chiori from Inazuma the one who made Fontainian clothes for Lynette and Navia.

Clorinde: Ms Chiori. Good to see you.

Soulas: It's been a while.

Chiori walked up to them

Chiori: I've read about the news that the both of you took down Surtagley for his crimes on Fontaine. Sheesh. These guys really hate you, Soulas.

Soulas: Yeah, they do. Whether it is their hatred and anger towards me, I will not allow them to harm other innocent civilians around here.

Chiori nodded along with Clorinde.

Chiori: You're just like Neuvillette.

Soulas was surprised at her remarks

Soulas: Really?

Clorinde: I believe that she's comparing to you and Neuvillette as you both are very busy.

Soulas: Crime and villainy will return and so justice must carry on. This is the nature of a Justice's work.

Clorinde agreed with him

Clorinde: That's right.

They all laughed for a while before Chiori introduces some new clothes to Clorinde before they went too see Neuvillette and Aether at the Palais Memorina.

Neuvillette: Greetings both of you.

Aether and Paimon turned around and saw them.

Paimon: Hey there! Soulas and Clorinde!

Soulas and Clorinde went up to them

Neuvillette: Did you both have a great time together.

Clorinde: We sure do.

Soulas: Yup.

Neuvillette smiled at them

Neuvillette: That's great.

Soulas: So what are you doing here?

Neuvillette: I planned to investigate the threat letter who tires to harm Kiara.

Soulas: A threat letter?

Neuvillette nodded at him

Neuvillette: Yes, I intend to investigate it on my case.

Soulas and Clorinde were both surprised that Neuvillette will be investigating it in person.

Paimon: Um, even so, why do you have to be the one investigating?

Paimon: There's the Gardes, the Marechaussee Phantom, and the Special Security and Surveillance Patrol! Aren't they more than enough to figure out what's going on?

Neuvillette: Based on prior experience, there's a high chance that those who hold hostility towards me do not belong to the same department.

Neuvillette: The political system of Fontaine is relatively complex and involves the interests of multiple different factions.

Neuvillette: However, since I am technically an outsider in Fontaine, a lot of trouble could be avoided if I personally took on the case.

They all confused expect Soulas why Neuvillette is an outsider.

Paimon: Outsider?

Paimon: But aren't you the Chief Justice of Fontaine? Why would you be an outsider?

Neuvillette: I understand where
you're coming from, but there is not necessarily a connection between my responsibilities and how I perceive myself.

Neuvillette: You and Soulas know very well about my true identity and have even met others of my kind in other nations...

Aether spoke up

Aether: The Hydro Dragon Sovereign...

Clorinde was mostly surprised that the Chief Justice is the Hydro Dragon. She heard rumours about the Dragon of Water but didn't expected to be him. She turned to Soulas and was wondering how did he know about his identity for the last 500 years.

Neuvillette: Even though I was born with a human form, there's a fundamental difference between dragons and humans.

Neuvillette: Taking on the role of Chief Justice does not make me a part of this community. In fact, the status I was granted has prevented me from forming deeper bonds with others.

Neuvillette: I have lived in Fontaine for a long time, but I do not belong here. That is why I call myself an outsider - a fish out of water.

Soulas: Yeah, it does.

Aether: When you put it like that, we're outsiders too.

Paimon: Yeah! We have nothing to do with all those organizations anyway, so how about we come with you on your investigation?

Paimon: Let's team up and round up all the bad guys lurking in the dark!

Neuvillette: ...That does not sound like a bad idea. I rarely investigate cases on my own, but with professionals like you around, I'm sure it'll go a lot smoother.

Paimon: Hehe, Paimon's starting to get a little embarrassed. Just leave it to us!

Neuvillette: I'll write my note of absence right away. Let us depart together once I am done.

Neuvillette writes a note to Furina and sets it on the desk.

Neuvillette: Let us go. We should visit Kiara first and try to gain a better evidence.

Neuvillette turned to Soulas and Clorinde.

Neuvillette: You both not coming?

Clorinde: We'll join you later for a while.

Paimon: OK, sure!

They all left out of Neuvillette's office leaving Soulas and Clorinde alone.

Soulas: I guess we'll be joining them later.

Clorinde: Indeed.

A few minutes later they both went out and keep an eye on Kiara as Clorinde stood there and look at Soulas with a remorse expression while thinking

Clorinde: Soulas, who are you?