Chapter 4

"Are you challenging me, Maxwell?" Sam asked seriously

"I'm not challenging you, Ms. President. Monique is a scholar of my family, so I have the right to her, not you," my brother firmly responded to Sam.

I felt Sam's grip on me tighten as she stared intently at my brother.

I tried to break free from their hold and approached Sam.

"Thank you for helping me in the library earlier. I appreciate it," I said, and Sam just nodded in response.

"But we're still not friends," I joked.

"Yeah, of course. I'm not done teasing you yet," she replied with a smile.

"Monique, let's go," my brother called me.

"Thank you again, Lady Sam."

"Freen," she whispered.

I looked at her puzzled.

"I want you to call me Freen," she said.

I smiled at her words.

"So you don't want me to call you an arrogant human being or annoying girl?"

She laughed at my comment.

The girls in the cafeteria started squealing. Was this the first time they heard Freen laugh?

She was about to say something, but my brother pulled me out of the cafeteria. As soon as we left, he hurriedly ushered me into his car.

"How did it happen, Rebecca? How did you and Samantha become close?" he asked.

"We're not friends or anything, Kuya. We're classmates, acquaintances... that's all," I replied.

"Stay away from her. She's a troublemaker, Rebecca."

"Kuya, she's not that bad. I mean, yeah, she messed with me on our first day, but she's making up for it. I can see it, I can feel it."

"No, Rebecca! You don't understand," he raised his voice, which startled me.

"Then make me understand, Kuya. What's wrong with you and Freen? Why do I feel like you hate each other?"

I saw my brother's grip on the steering wheel tighten.

"What's happening, Kuya? This isn't about the SC President position, right?"

"Just stay away from her, Rebecca. That's all I'm asking."

I took a deep breath.

"I don't know, Kuya. We're in the same department, same building, same class."

"That's why, avoid her as much as possible. Please, Rebecca," he pleaded.

"Okay," I responded just to appease him.

I saw him relax a bit.

"Should I drop you off at your boarding house?"