Chapter 1 - The Heist

20XX AD. An ambitious age to live in. The Net has become the world's primary means of function. Everything from communication, education, entertainment, and scientific research is all connected with the Net. Everyone apart of this world owned a PET, a personal terminal, with some possessing their own personal NetNavi. This is their colleague, partner, and even friend. Together, as Operator and Navi, they can live as a regular person, explore the wide world, battle rogue Navis and Viruses as a NetBattler, or even steal information as a Data Thief. This is a story of the latter.

Rock City is like any other in this world. Everyone and everything is connected via the Net. Anyone with a PET or a standard computer with the right knowledge can access it and unite the network to its fullest within reason.

Rock City is split up into various areas, and towns, all making up one larger place connected by roads and rail lines. One such Town is Punk Town. A relatively active environment with a flare for the eccentricities of life.

Punk Town National Bank is a local landmark, being renovated from an old brickwork building to keep up with the times. Now storing people's savings physically and digitally as Zenny. While a regular establishment, it's also a front for the richer clients to horde unused wealth.

Using their public restroom, a civilian takes their time to wash their hands, using the mirror to eye up any potential ports in the room before spotting the one connected to the toilet itself. They mutter to themself, counting down as they look at their watch. The second the time changes to ten past the hour, they grab their PET from their pocket, a Link PET_EX model.

"Jack In! ProMan! Execute!" The Operator launches their personal NetNavi into the NET via the toilet, sending them into the Bank's private server. They crack a smile before exiting the restroom like nothing happened, and leave the bank entirely, taking a seat on a bench outside.

......

The Bank's private server is well organized, and user-friendly with various standard NetNavi working around the clock to keep the server running smoothly. A standard normal NetNavi has the appearance of a humanoid robot with a green and yellow color scheme. These particular Navi have a light blue sache over their shoulder with the Bank's logo on it, proving them to be part of the system.

They work as normal, unaware of any changes, or new additions to the server, like an unwanted visitor. Moving by unseen, the Operator's Navi explores the server, their eyes on a clear prize. The normal Navi can't see them, only vaguely seeing a strange effect around an outline before losing sight of it.

However, stepping on a tile in the server triggers an unexpected trap. A shockwave is sent through NetNavi's body, canceling out the invisibility, and revealing them to the working Navi.

They stand around shocked to see this intruder. A red, blue, and yellow Navi, the same size as a standard Navi, and a humanoid appearance. Wearing a vaguely spandex outfit with padded armor on the shoulders and thighs, with gauntlets, and boots as protection. In place of a helmet, they have erratic-stylized blonde hair, and big, blue eyes.

"Intruder!" A Navi calls out, alerting the rest of the server to their presence.

ProMan just grins, giving an arrogant smirk as they speak in a sarcastic tone, "Oh no, you caught me. And here I thought I wasn't going to have fun on this mission."

ProMan takes off, showing great speed and agility as they leap into the air, their body contorting as they flip over the other Navis. Back on land, they start running.

"Jumper! I've been found out! I need you to send me some Chips. Just the essentials now," through the connection with the PET, ProMan communicates with its Operator.