01 - awake

Annabelle

A steady beeping sounded and I blinked a few times before carefully opening my eyes. I slowly looked around the room and realized that I was in hospital. What had happened? 

Adam Berger had happened. I immediately started to shake again and remembered the last few moments. His hand on my hip, his lips on mine. I started to cry and just then the door opened.

(Conversation in German)

"Annabelle, you're awake!"

My brother rushed to my bedside and immediately grabbed my hand.

"How are you feeling? Are you feeling a little better?"

Overwhelmed, I closed my eyes again for a moment and tried to slow down my breathing, which had just become faster again. Next to me, my brother pressed the button for the nurse and then looked at me again with concern. 

Unable to say anything, I just squeezed his hand lightly and he brushed a strand of hair out of my face. Why was I here? Where was everyone else, was the winner ceremony already over?

"Mrs Bruck, nice to see you're awake again. How are you?"

The nurse came into my room followed by a doctor. They both stopped in front of my bed and I looked back and forth between them and my brother because something was missing. To be precise, someone was missing.

"Is George still with the media or why isn't he here?"

Sighing, Benedikt left my eye contact and looked at the bedspread.

"Mrs Bruck, do you know what day it is?"

Confused, I glanced at my brother, who still didn't look up at me and I looked back at the two people in white.

"Sunday, George won the race in Spielberg today."

The doctor and the nurse glanced at each other and my brother sighed next to me and started to speak without looking up.

"George is in Budapest, this Sunday is the Hungarian Grand Prix."

My heart stopped for a moment and I froze. As the doctor flicked through the pages on his clipboard, I felt a tear run down my face.

"Silverstone?"

"It was the week before last, George came fourth."

WHAT? I couldn't believe what my brother was saying. The race in England was never over and this weekend was never Formula 1 in Hungary, it just couldn't be. My breathing quickened, so the nurse immediately stepped up to my IV and adjusted something.

"Mrs Bruck, I know that this is all quite a lot for you right now. But you had a severe panic attack and were unconscious for a very long time, which is why we put you into an artificial sleep so that your body can recover. Fortunately, there was a rescue helicopter on site, so we were able to avoid more serious consequences, but you should avoid stress in the near future and try to remain calm. If you feel better by tomorrow afternoon, we will be happy to discharge you, but you should not be alone for too long in the near future in case your condition worsens."

The doctor gave me, or rather my brother, some more papers before he and the nurse left the room again. I had to swallow hard and take a deep breath. My brother looked at me sympathetically and squeezed my hand, which he was still holding. I looked at Benedikt and he immediately understood what I wanted to know.

"They weren't here. They said it was your own fault and they warned you to stay out of Formula 1 and away from George."

I nodded silently. Even though it was kind of predictable, it just reaffirmed to me how little my parents liked me. I mean, even if I was going against their advice, I'd been in a deep sleep for the last three weeks and they didn't care.