04 - statement

Annabelle

"Are you ready?"

George came into the anteroom where I was putting on my thin jacket. After spending the morning on the balcony, it was now just before noon and we wanted to go to the police. Or rather, I still wasn't keen on the idea, but George persuaded me and I was simply too weak to argue against it any further. 

He had also told me that Toto had asked about me. Before that, I was particularly afraid of what George's boss would say about all this. After all, he knew about all the allegations, after all, he was the one who made the informative article more or less public. 

Of course George had told him about the evening in Spielberg and how it was connected. It was fine with me, after all I got along really well with the Wolffs and especially Toto and so I didn't see any problem with it. 

The Mercedes boss then used his connections again and recommended a police officer to us who he knew from before. He was also willing to support me or us as long as Mercedes didn't reflect badly and it didn't affect George's performance.

Our taxi was already waiting outside the door, which would take us into the city to the police station. Throughout the ride, George held my hand and squeezed it in acknowledgment, to which I gave him a grateful smile. 

After about half an hour we were there and got out quickly before anyone could recognize us or George. Nothing would be worse than pictures of him in front of a police station in Vienna. Inside we got some surprised looks, after all it wasn't every day that a celebrity like that walked into the police station. 

There was a young man sitting behind the reception who, after an initial moment of admiration, asked us our names. Of course he knew George's name, but I was glad he handled the whole thing professionally.

"You have an appointment with David Spart?"

"Yes, that's right," I answered quickly, before I snuggled anxiously into George's arm.

He immediately put his arm around my waist and pulled me even closer to him while the young man motioned for us to wait. He picked up the phone and dialed a number. Since we were standing a little to the side, I couldn't understand what he was saying. 

However, after hanging up again, he called us over and stood up.

"He will be here in five minutes."

George nodded in confirmation and the man led us into a small room. We should wait here until David Spart had time. I was still clinging to George's arm because the whole thing was more than uncomfortable for me and I would prefer to be back home in my bed. 

A few minutes later the door opened again and a middle-aged man poked his head inside.

"Annabelle Bruck?"

I looked up and confirmed my name, whereupon he told us to follow him. The policeman led us up wide stone stairs to the upper floor and into his office, where we sat on the two armchairs opposite the desk. He politely shook our hands.

"David Saves my name, you are Annabelle Bruck as I already know. And I also know you of course, George Russell. I have to say I am a fan but these circumstances are not exactly pleasant to meet you, but today is all about Mrs. Bruck, isn't it?"

George just nodded and gave me an encouraging smile.

"In which language should we take the statement, should your boyfriend also know what it's about, Ms. Bruck?" the police officer asked me and his calm and polite manner made me relax a little.

"In German, George already knows everything, but I feel more comfortable this way," I answered and looked briefly at George, who nodded at me in agreement and squeezed my hand, which was in his.