12 - incident

Annabelle

It was Sunday and the first race after the summer break was coming up. Qualifying had gone well for George, as well as Lando and Alex, so we were all quite euphoric about today's race. Verstappen would start the race from twelfth on the grid after a change to the car, which would be another advantage for George.

Although my boyfriend was still behind the Dutchman in the championship standings, that could change again today, which is why I was more than eager and excited. On Friday I had given a short interview about the current situation and the incidents, George was also there to support me.

For this reason and the stories from the other riders, this topic was unfortunately the main topic of conversation this weekend, but it also had something positive. Since our official statement, I had no new messages or threats from Berger and was slightly optimistic.

"Hey Annabelle, wanna have lunch together?"

Surprised, I turned to the two Ferrari drivers who were coming towards me through the paddock. Only five minutes ago, Lily, Emilia and I had parted ways and now I was standing a little lost outside the Mercedes garage, as George was still in meetings.

"Hello guys, yeah sure."

I greeted them both with a quick hug before we made our way to the Ferrari building. I had grown fond of them from the start and got on really well with them, especially since Monaco. I quickly texted George where I was before the two of them started chatting me up. 

Full of anticipation, they told me about Monza and the atmosphere there, which was coming up again next week, Ferrari's home race.

"I wish you two good luck for that, hopefully P2 and P3," I said with a laugh and took a bite of my bread.

"Hey why P2 and P3, what's with P1?" Charles said, looking at me in horror, while Carlos just smacked him on the arm with a grin.

"Mate, you do know that her boyfriend is also a driver?"

Without saying anything, I nodded and winked at them both and we all had to laugh. The two of them were super relaxed and a good distraction from all the questions and conversations out there in the paddock, which were mostly about Berger or the whole story.

"But when he has the championship in his pocket I'll tell him to back up and let you through."

I winked meaningfully at the Ferrari drivers and Carlos had to laugh again, while Charles rolled his eyes playfully.

"Bro why did we invite her over for lunch?" the Monegasque asked his team-mate and I had to laugh, just like Carlos.

"Because I like her, she is my friend and yours too so don't be so annoyed."

"I am not annoyed, I just want to win," said Charles and grinned at me.

"Yeah I can understand that but my boyfriend is better than you so that's gonna be hard for you," I replied cheekily and leaned back, laughing.

The Monegasque looked at me in horror, while Carlos could only laugh.

"Can't you have sex with him all night so he's too tired to win?"

"Yes, that would be an option and the best part is that you would benefit too," Carlos added to his teammate's statement.

Just as I was about to reply, my cell phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out. As it was a call, I excused myself briefly and went out onto the terrace.

"Hello?" I asked uncertainly, as it was an unknown number.

"Hello sweetie, we haven't seen each other for a long time. Although I have to say that this cab ride was very tempting."