21. Safety Concerns

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
SAFETY CONCERNS

"Alright," Hopper sighed, motioning towards the small truck behind him as he opened the back door. "Get in."

Lucas and Dustin went to go in, but Aaron put a stop to it, grabbing their arms and pulling them back.

"You're expecting us all to sit in the back?" Aaron asked the older man, sounding appalled.

"Aaron," he heard Kimmy hiss from behind him. "Don't talk to him like that, he's the chief-"

"Yeah, I'm expecting you to sit in the back." Hopper replied to Aaron, ignoring the young girls pleads. "Deal with it and get in the car."

Aaron peaked his head in the car through the open door before immediately moving back and standing straight again to face the older man with a look of dismay on his features.

"Fat chance." The boy scoffed, catching sight of Kimmy and Lucas' appalled faces from the corner of his eye. "I get in there and I'll die."

"I don't have time for this." The older man sighed and rolled his eyes. "You either get in the car or you make the walk across town alone, I am leaving now, either get in the car or don't."

Dustin pushed past Aaron and made his way into the car and was soon followed by Lucas, most likely due to fear. It was seconds until Kimmy was pushing Aaron's back and forcing him into the backseat of the car.

"Hey- Kimmy, what are you doing?" Aaron exclaimed as he was forced into the car, groaning as Kimmy sat next to him, only pushing Aaron further into Lucas.

"Just deal with it, Aaron." Lucas whispered. "Don't piss off the police."

"Well you won't have to worry because I can't piss him off from the grave." Aaron retorted sarcastically, concerned with the safety standards of the car he was forced into.

Aaron's best friend simply rolled his eyes in response, looking away and casting his gaze straight ahead.

"How much of us are there in the back?" Aaron whispered sarcastically, turning to Kimmy now that the boy sat the other side of him was now ignoring him. "Six. How many seats are there? Three. How many seatbelts are there? Two! This is insane! He will have the deaths of six twelve year olds on his hands, I hope it's worth it-"

"Aaron, I promise you we will be fine." Kimmy whispered in response, doing her best to put a comforting look on her face. "He's a policeman- he's the chief. Surely he knows what he's doing."

Aaron tilted his head back against the back of the seat, crossing his arms over his chest once more as he furrowed his brows. "We are all going to die."

He heard Kimmy snicker next to him, in turn setting of Lucas' snickers, much to Aaron's dismay. The sandy haired blond snapped back up sitting straight as he glared at the two sat at each of his sides.

"I'm serious guys!" Aaron snapped halfheartedly, his stress driving him mad. "We're all going to die at the hands of this mad-man and then you'll all regret not listening to me."

"Oh you're so right!" Lucas wailed sarcastically causing Kimmy to laugh. "Tell my mom I love her!"

"Hold my hand Lucas I'm scared the car blows up because the seatbelts aren't plugged in!" Kimmy wailed in response, reaching over Aaron to dramatically connect the twos hands, causing the pair to laugh hysterically.

Aaron was not amused. He reached his hands forward to break apart the twos hands as he scoffed, causing the two to only laugh harder.

Aaron rolled his eyes, going silent and he was sure his face showed his upset and irritated feelings which he tried his hardest not to show.