Meet Me At Sunup?

Cardan 

The doors swing open and I turn around before grinning. 

"You're finally back!" I exclaim as Jasce saunters into the room and he claps me on the back before hauling one of his arms over my shoulders.

"I'm in need of a drink, brother," he says with a heavy laugh and I chuckle with him. 

"Right there with you." 

As we settle into the two chairs in front of the roaring fireplace, I pour out two glasses of the finest scotch that Jude had brought with her from the human world that I used only for myself now. 

Especially now that Jude was pregnant. 

We didn't want to risk anything with this pregnancy, especially since being a mother was so important to her.

 "Did you have any success?" I ask and he shrugs. 

"Some. I think they'll come around sooner rather than later, Cardan. But again, I cannot offer my thanks more." 

I shrug it off as I take a sip of the bitter and burning liquid. "Nonsense. We were happy to." 

"What do your subjects think of this?" he muses as the fire crackles in it's hearth and I shake my head. 

"They're just as ruthless and cutthroat as we are, Jasce. They understand we need the resources as well as the land. It's fine with them." 

We're quiet before Jasce smiles while looking at the window, before asking, "How's Jude coming along?" 

I sigh. "It looks like the morning sickness is still going strong, so unfortunately Jude's up at all ages suffering. I promised I'd be there for it all as well, so it looks like the baby is preparing us for little hours of sleep already." 

"Is Jude worried? Is she taking medicine?" Jasce asks almost worriedly and I nod. 

"Yes. It doesn't really help at all, and of course she's worried. She knows that it means the baby is healthy and likely very fierce but she's still worried either way. I just hope it'll be worth it all." 

Jasce chuckles. "Promise me, you'll look back on these days with golden and fond memories. These are the best of times before meeting your little one, Cardan." 

I'm surprised to hear these words from Jasce and raise an eyebrow. 

"You have a child of your own?"  I ask, surprised, and just as Jasce is about to open his mouth, the doors to the study burst open and The Bomb enters, tears running down her cheeks. 

"Cardan, it's Jude. She needs you." 

Why is The Bomb crying? I think to myself as I rise to my feet. 

"Is she alright?" I ask and she shakes her head. 

"It's the baby." 

Jasce looks at me before we sprint from the room, and when we arrive at Jude and I's quarters, I'm stopped in my tracks. 

Several guards and maids surround her, as well as physicians, but all I can see is that she's curled up on her side. 

Upon seeing us, they murmur their sorrows before leaving, and I approach Jude. 

What scares me the most is how quiet she is. 

How she's shaking with sobs. 

She lost the baby.