Chapter Fourteen

A/N this is a long one guys, sorry. Also if you read the original version of this story, it's mostly taken from that just as a heads up. After this chapter we are officially past everything I ever wrote of the then or now sections of the old book. Enjoy!

----

Y/n spent the next day following her target. From the time Atsushi woke up, she was on his tail. He had a relatively normal life, she had observed. All he'd done until noon was have breakfast and go into work. Y/n perched on the roof of the building across the Street from the Agency, eyes fixed on the door for any suspicious activity or chance to capture her target. Much to her chagrin, it was suspicious activity she saw first when a blond woman she'd encountered on a job a few years before slipped through the Agency's door. Y/n remembered her affiliation with the city's Port Mafia and when she saw the woman exiting the building with Atsushi, Tanizaki, and Naomi trailing behind her, assumed her employer must have contacted them as well.

Y/n followed, them discretely until they reached a small, dead end ally. She looked on as another Port Mafia member appeared, cornering the group. Y/n didn't want to intercede, didn't want to deal with the difficulties of Naomi and Tanizaki seeing her should she intercede. After a while, it became clear that if she didn't step in, the fight would end with Atsushi, Tanizaki, and Naomi dead and she wanted that even less. Without much thought or attention to her surroundings, she jumped down from the roof using her ability to  emanate a bright light meant to stun all those involved.

It had been pure instinct to be honest. She had seen the danger her old friends were in along with her prize, seen the pain being inflicted on them. She had acted, materialized her wings, used her ability.

She just happened to have acted at the exact same moment Dazai appeared, practically from thin air, and moved to disable the were-tiger and mafia member's abilities. Y/n noticed him just as her feet hit the ground, creating a creator from the impact and shaking everyone off their feet excluding the man in the tan jacket.

"Y/n...?" he stuttered out after a moment, confusion and shock painting his delicate features.

She stood up from her crouched position, her back turned to him.

"Dazai." was all she said, her voice cold, before walking over to the were-tiger and grabbing his arm.

"What are you doing?" asked Dazai from behind her as the silver haired boy looked up, eyes wide.

"You're... you're that girl... with the groceries..." Atsushi mumbled through his surprise.

Y/n nodded once before she answered Dazai's question.

"I'm doing my job." 

"You're wings they're... they're translucent?"

As he said the word 'translucent' the word 'gone' slipped through Y/n's lips and she, at last turned to face the man, the were-tiger's arm still firmly in her grasp.

"Gone?" he questioned, shock flooding his features.

"Gone." Y/n confirmed, allowing her wings to disappear before taking a few steps toward the exit of the ally which Dazai was blocking.

"What do you think you're doing!" screamed one of the two mafia members suddenly, the blond one, pulling a gun from who knows where and sending a barrage of bullets in Y/n's direction.

Dazai looked on as her wings turned to metal, something he had never seen Y/n do before. She wrapped them around Atsushi and herself, using them to guard against the bullets before spreading them open once again and shooting a feather out to hit the blond woman in the head, knocking her out.