Chapter Five

What had begun to freak Dazai out more, more than the way Y/n saw right through him as if she had known him all his life, more than the idea that they were friends, was the way he trusted her. It wasn't something he had ever meant to do. Even with his other friends, he had never felt this sort of a bond before. Even in comparison to his relationships with the other Agency members, whom he had grown quite close to, it was different. It scared him.

Dazai had never been one to run from the things that frightened him, not that much did. He wasn't planning on starting now and so, he continued as if nothing was wrong. From the looks she shot his way on occasion, he could tell Y/n knew something was up. She never questioned him, however, and he never questioned her. It was like there was a barrier, a wall in their friendship. Neither talked about what their life was like before the other after he had told her about Ango and Oda.

Before Dazai knew it, he had been at the Agency for six months. Six whole entire months. Somehow, Y/n had managed to convince him to let her plan a sort of celebration for the occasion. He had always hated parties, she had just been so insistent.

"Where are you taking me, dumbass? And why do I have to wear this blindfold?" he complained as Y/n led him to an undisclosed location.

As soon as their shifts had ended, Tanizaki had helped her blindfold him and they had been walking for the past fifteen minutes or so. Every time Dazai had tried to question her, Y/n had given him the same answer.

"You'll see."

"Well, are we almost there?" he whined, "My legs are getting tired."

"Lazy." she laughed, "But yeah, we're almost there."

She stopped walking, pulling him to a halt beside her by his hand which she had been holding in order to guide Dazai through the city.

"Actually, we're here." she hummed, "Surprise!"

The blindfold fell away from Dazai's eyes and he looked up to see bright lights and carnival rides against the sunset.

"A festival?" he asked after a moment, looking down at Y/n with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah! I heard they come here every year around this time and thought it'd be fun to go." she shrugged, "I wanted to do something for you to celebrate but, you don't really seem like a party person so..."

"So you took me to a place full of hundreds of people I don't know." he grumbled.

Y/n laughed slightly.

"I thought you liked festivals. I don't know, they seemed like something you probably enjoyed." she shrugged.

Dazai looked out at the lights again before turning back to Y/n. She seemed to have grown uncomfortable, worry seeping into her from every angle as she shoved her hands in the pockets of her dress.

"I'll leave now, I am sure that you don't want to be bothered and just have fun." she said softly, breaking the silence between them.

"Wait!" Dazai called out as she turned her back on him, "I..."

Y/n looked back at him, her head tilted to the side in confusion and her lips slightly parted.

"I... have never.. actually been to a festival before." he begrudgingly admitted, crossing his arms and looking away.

"Really!?" she exclaimed, turning fully back around to face Dazai as he nodded, "Oh my gosh! Wait! That's so exciting! I'll show you around."

She grabbed his hand, uncrossing his arms with a bright smile.

"I'm scared of heights but, I feel like you'd love the ferris wheel. Wanna go?"

"Okay." 

After about four hours of fun, food, and alcohol, it was dark and time to go home.