I'll Be Your Refer

377 Years Ago...
He doesn’t know how long it’s been. He isn’t told. He isn’t told anything, he never is. He isn’t even addressed, or answered when trying to ask (so, he doesn’t anymore.) He is barely acknowledged, save for the way he is roughly hauled out of the cryo chamber.

It isn’t the first time, but each time they put him back in to freeze has varied as wildly as the time he is kept out for. The time he is kept out for, in the beginning, he thought could only be his fault. But it has been nearly two centuries of trying different methods, yet, still repeating the same faults.

Faults that he now sees cannot be erased through any conditioning or training.

For almost two centuries now, he has been dragged out of cryo and instantly put to work training the next clone. For just as long, he has failed to make a sain’ji out of any of them. And each time he fails, he is thrown back into his cryo prison–until the next one is created and ready to be trained.

Each clone and their personality had varied just as much as their appearances. But every single one of them had eventually lost control of themselves entirely. Half had turned on their master (and rightly so), and the other half had killed themselves in the most gruesome of ways, just to take themselves away from their master.

He blamed none of them, and pitied all of them. They may have been mostly monsters in both appearance and nature, but they were all still children. Still innocent (albeit, to varying degrees.)

And then, the previous time, he hadn’t been needed to train, but he’d been pulled out of cryo just so The Mad Elder could gloat about his newly created hive mind clones. An army of 50, that after mere seconds of being woken, had almost torn the entire ship and its occupants apart.

Greyback never was thanked for drawing the hive clones out into the loading docks, where he’d trapped them all before pressing the button and watching them all being sucked out into the abyss of space. The Mad Elder had simply hissed in annoyance (like he always has when he realises he’s really nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is) before ordering Greyback to be tossed back into cryo.

And now, they are dragging Greyback out of cryo yet again. He has lost count of how many times...

He is dragged down the usual corridors before being unceremoniously dumped in the depressing chambers they left for him to call his living quarters over the years he’s been captive. He winces as the door is slammed, his senses all still adjusting after just a few minutes of being pulled back to life. But he thinks at least the room is dimmer than the blinding neon white lights covering the corridors of the ship.

From the cold hard metal floor of where they dumped him (face-first–the disrespectful little cjits), Greyback grunts at the discomfort of his stiff limbs (they didn’t even bring him a heat lamp to thaw this time.) Though, he manages to summon up enough strength, latching an arm up onto the comfy fur bench.

He leans back with a tired sigh–tired, because ironically, sleeping in cryo means his brain is tricked into thinking he is still awake and that time is just endless. He tries to forget about all the torturous nightmares and longing dreams he had in cryo, like he does each time he is pulled back out (and like he fails to each time as the images flood his mind anyway, as if in retaliation for his weaknesses...)

(...Or maybe his mother was right all along when she used to tell him that he had a death wish that even most hish-qu-ten would dare not chase after. “Most” meaning “sane.”)

He smiles faintly in fondness over the memory of each of his kin that have passed to the other side to be embraced eternally by Paya; The Goddess Mother herself.

He tips his head back mindlessly, just losing himself in light-hearted thought as he waits for his body to warm up. He cracks his neck, rolls his shoulders, lets out a quiet groan as his blood rushing satisfyingly and a lot more tension releases from his muscles. And when he lets his head fall front to tuck his slightly chattering mandibles--in his “chilled” state of mind (from cryo, not because he is cold-blooded—although, that really doesn’t help either), his eyes accidentally land right on the small lamp in the furthest corner of the room.