You'll Breathe Me In

For the moment, Naru is too excited and overjoyed to notice anything is off...

He’s smiling softly as he lifts a hand and carefully curls a finger around one of her loose strands dangling in front of her face, and Naru is too focused on fighting back a shiver, though, lets her eyes flutter when his claw brushes lightly over her cheek.

“You have grown taller.” Greyback muses with a soft twinkle in his eyes.

Naru’s eyes snap open, and while she's trying not to let her disappointment show when he lets his hand fall back to his side, she chuckles quietly, nods and says, “Just an inch or two.”

Greyback notes her small frown, then, sees her glancing around, seemingly looking for something. He glances around, too, then, back to her with a reassuring smile when he tells her, “It is just us here. I wasn’t followed.”

Naru nods, but she’s still frowning, because–what the fuck is that humming noise? Did my fridge break down again? God, damn it! She shakes off the annoying uneasy feeling; ignores the noise as she looks back at him and arches a brow while asking, “You sure about that?”

Greyback knows she isn’t accusing him. Still, she knows how careful he always is, and yet, he trusts her instincts more than his own. He glances around again, then, finally addresses the decapitated head in the room, pointing to it as he calmly asks, “What the pauk is this?”

Naru shoots him a withering look, because he knows more about her clones than she ever did. “Uh, kind of hoping you had an explanation.”

Greyback turns to look at the head. “Clearly a clone.”

“Clearly.” Naru scoffs.

Greyback turns to look at her and smirks knowingly at her sweet little pout even while he’s sweetly telling her, “Don’t worry, little one, none of them are as perfect as you. Not even close.”

Naru rolls her eyes, but can’t help the blush that rises to her face (even when he’s not actually flirting with her, just being his usual sweet self. She doubts he’s ever even looked at her in any other way.)

Greyback chuckles at her reaction. He turns back to the clone’s head, bending down to take a closer look. As he inspects the damage, he can’t help curiously asking, “How long did it take you to defeat her?”

“Uh,” Naru blows out a sigh as she uses her photographic memory to go back through the seconds in real-time. “2 minutes and 11 seconds. Why?”

Greyback glances up at her, brow arched and impressed smile lighting up his entire face.

Naru blinks, oblivious when asking, “What?”

Greyback chuckles while shaking his head. “Asshole Face is going to be very angry with you, and I could not be any prouder of you right now.”

Naru both loves and hates when he talks like that to her. Of course she’s always happy to make him proud of her, but she’s also bummed out every time he looks at her like she’s his fricking kid.

Still, she’s smiling timidly, and her heart is skipping happily while watching his face light up in another laugh as he stares between her and the other hers head.

Greyback knows she doesn’t care, because she hasn’t asked any follow-ups. But he tells her anyway, because he tells her almost everything; “When he destroyed the clones, he kept the strongest and most savage as a backup–“

“A killswitch. For me.” Naru nods.

“Yes.” Greyback nods back, and despite the conversation, he’s smiling because she’s still so smart, still so quick to figure things out.