Chapter 7

Y/N POV:

We’ve been flying for a few hours now, and it’s gotten colder, much colder. An obvious sign to me that we’re getting closer to the Sanctuary. I could feel Spine shivering in my paws, poor guy. Sure, he still may be a dragon, but he’s also still very small. As I was adjusting my grip on him to help keep him warm, I could see a large spiky structure on the horizon steadily getting bigger. Finally, after all this time, I was home, my true home. And I got to bring Spine with me! As we got closer, I looked for any entrances near the top, and found one that was just my size if I wrapped myself up in my wings. As we flew closer I tucked my legs, and Spine along with them, close to my body, then I wrapped my wings around myself, making us small enough to fit in the entrance. I angled myself just right to where we shot through the tunnel at a high speed, not hitting any of the walls. As we got closer to the end of the tunnel, I opened my rear wings to help angle myself better and make an all too familiar whistle noise to let others know that the Alpha has returned. Wait, Alpha? Isn’t- oh that snow breathing punk. Sure, he may be the King of dragons and I'm the Alpha of the nest, but that doesn’t mean that he won’t get an earful from Valka. As soon as we left the tunnel, I opened my wings to their fullest to slow our fall and glide around the center column of stone and over to my cave. As we neared the cave, I noticed a small flock of Terrors had made it their home, so I glided in and dropped Spine on the ground gently and landed next to him, startling the Terrors. They immediately took note of who I was and scurried away as fast as they could. I grabbed Spine by the gruff gently and once again wrapped myself around him like a cocoon to keep him warm, except this time I kept my head out so I could make sure no one would bother him while he slept. After a while of keeping Spine safe while he slept, I heard footsteps outside of the cave entrance and looked over to see a Stormcutter I thought I wouldn’t see again. After the Stormcutter enters the cave, Valka, wearing her armor and carrying her staff, walks in behind him. As soon as Valka saw me she took off her helmet and ran over to me, wrapping her arms around my neck, trying to hug me.

Valka: Oh by the Gods, Y/N, you’re back!

Y/N: Yep, I’m back, and very tired. So is Spine.

Valka: Who is Spine?

Y/N: He’s my little brother.

I lifted up my wing, opening up the cocoon I had made around him so Valka could see him, but he was out like a candle. Valka reaches over to hold him, but I wrap myself around him again.

Y/N: Don’t wake him up, we’ve had a long day and you might startle him. Also, he’s blind, so I don’t want to scare him.

Valka: Oh, poor thing, how did it happen?

Y/N: It was a tree snare set by some hunters in the forest near where my den was, and I found him after it had hit him.

Valka: Why were you living in a den? You could have just come back here.

Y/N: Well, you can ask the King about that, seeing as he was the one to make me think you were dead and forget about this place.

Valka: He did, what!? Whiteout!

Valka almost yelled at the top of her lungs at the King. And she called him by his actual name, so she was mad. A couple moments later, the head of the King lifted his head over the ledge at the entrance to my cave. He looked inside and spotted me first, his face changing into one of worry, then he saw Valka, and then looked scared. Serves him right for doing that to me.

Valka: So, what is this I’m hearing about you making  Y/N think I died?

Whiteout: Well, uh, you see… I’ve got nothing.