Hope is all I have left - Flower Husbands

Special treat! This one is about their Empires SMP characters! :D

I don't know how I feel about this one, but I've written too much to restart now. 

We shall see how this turns out, I guess.

Art is by kishdoodles on Tumblr

- - - 

"He's so ugly, look at those disgusting fins."

"What is that hideous green?"

"Ew, his scales look so gross."

"Mommy, he looks sad. Can't we help him?"

"No sweetie, he's a hybrid. He deserves to be there."

For twenty years, Jimmy ignored the humans who stared at him. He didn't look at them, he didn't speak to them, he acted as though they did not exist. It was the one thing he could do to say "I'm not happy." Instead, he chose to gaze at the thin sheet of glass that showed the blue sky. Trapped inside his cold gray cell of cement, that little scrap of blue looked warm and bright. Looking at the sky, he could forget the passing of time and imagine that he was free. But as the years dragged on, and the visitor number trickled slowly downward, he found himself forgetting his childhood memories of freedom. Jimmy forgot what a hug felt like, what it sounded like when someone spoke to you gently. Little by little, he even forgot how to speak.

Jimmy wanted to be free. He would imagine himself, out there, swimming in a deep blue ocean, then would catch himself and chuckle bitterly. Where did that come from? Hoping is useless, Jimmy. You know this. Even if you're lucky enough to escape, what then? This cage is all you know. You have nowhere to go, no place to hide, you'll die out there. Here, in this cold, dark, dry cell, you're alive. And you'll be alive in here until you die. There is no escape for you, Jimmy. 

Over the long years of his imprisonment, the siren had developed a habit of imagining conversations with himself, and he probably would have talked to himself too, if he could speak. Alas, his only form of communication was through basic hand and head gestures, as hardly anyone knew sign language. (He still taught himself anyway, just in case. One time, a little girl had seen him signing, and they'd had a short but pleasant conversation.) 

"The visitors are losing interest. We'll have to replace the fish soon." Jimmy didn't look away from the blue slice of sky, but he listened. Two people in suits, one with a clipboard, talking seriously with one another. The one without the clipboard looked at Jimmy's cage, and Jimmy saw them curl their lip in disgust. They turned back to the clipboard person. "Agreed. It is distasteful to look at it." The two people left and no more visitors came until the blue had turned black and tiny white stars twinkled in the sky. Jimmy was about to fall asleep when the last visitor of the day arrived, a beautiful blue-haired man.

"Hello. Who are you?" The man asked, his eyes sparkling an unusually vibrant light blue. Jimmy stared at him curiously, wondering if he should answer. The man was human, and humans had been the ones to put him in the cage. But then again, not all humans were the same, and this man might have been a nice human, like the child who understood sign language. Jimmy decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I am called Jimmy. Do you understand sign language? He asked, his delicately taloned fingers moving fluidly as he signed. 

The man nodded. "Yes. I can understand it, though my signing is a bit rusty. May I continue speaking verbally?" He asked politely. Jimmy nodded, feeling very strange about being the granter of permission rather than the granted. The man smiled, revealing pearly white teeth that seemed a little too perfect. "Thank you. My name is Scott. It's a pleasure to meet you, Jimmy, although I wish it were under better circumstances." Jimmy shrugged, flipping his tailfins idly. Can't complain. I'm alive. More than I can say for some others like me. He signed, a bleak smile pulling at his face. Scott nodded, brushing back light blue hair and revealing pointed ears. "Others like us." He corrected.