Chapter five: Advice

I asked God who I'm supposed to be.
The stars smiled down on me,
God answered in silent reverie,
I said a prayer and fell asleep.
Dream - Priscilla Ahn

Luna's mood did not improve for the rest of the day, though her face largely remained as placid as ever. Even forcing herself to think of a happy thought in order to conjure up a perfect hare-shaped Patronus in Charms did not lift her spirits, despite the fact that her corporeal Patronus caused her Charms professor to squeal with delight.

Her new friends were stunned and impressed as well, as they were struggling to produce anything at all as they shouted "Expecto Patronum" repeatedly. Luna did not mention that she had been practicing her Patronus for a couple of years, thanks to Harry and the D.A.

Later, at dinner, Lucinda attempted to interrogate her about working with Tom Riddle in Potions. "What did he say?" she asked, leaning eagerly across the table. "What did you talk about? What did he smell like?"

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" Cat interjected, slamming her fork down on the table. "Some of us are trying to eat!"

"Don't pretend you don't want to know," sniffed Lucinda, tossing her magnificent head.

Luna, for her part, appeared to be utterly fixated on attempting to build a pyramid out of her string beans and did not respond.

The girls returned to Ravenclaw Tower, and Luna settled herself into a plush armchair by the fireplace. She started working on her Charms homework, legs curled up underneath her so that only her pink toes were peeking out. She worked studiously for several minutes until she glanced up to see Cat gesticulating silently to Lucinda and Lorraine. Cat froze mid-gesture when she noticed Luna's gaze, then tried to pass it off for fixing her hair.

"Yes?" asked Luna.

Cat coughed, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh, honestly." Lucinda rolled her eyes, hands on her hips. "Luna, we were just wondering if you're alright. You haven't said two words all afternoon."

Luna blinked. "You're wondering if I'm alright?"

"Come off it, we like you now," Cat snapped.

Lorraine added, "Yeah, you're one of us now."

A smile bubbled up out from under Luna's sour mood, fizzing into her belly, overflowing, and spilling a warmth down to her toes. "I like that," she said.

"Well, go on then. What's the matter?" Lucinda said with melodramatic exasperation.

Temptation to tell them the truth filled her. To not be alone with her trouble, to find connection in complicated places. Instead, she sighed, reigning her heart in, still smiling. "I'll be fine. I promise," she added, catching their disbelieving glances exchanged between one another.

Settling back in to focus on her homework again, Luna nonetheless felt less alone, even if she did have to keep her secrets. Her mood was much improved as her quill scratched away on her parchment.

That night, back in her bed, shielded from the strange world by bed curtains and blankets, Luna snuggled into her pillow and slept soundly.

                                •

The weekend approached without serious incident, and though Tom was in Luna's N.E.W.T.-level Transfiguration class, he sat on the opposite side of the room from her, centered amidst an insulating layer of Slytherin lackeys, and he did not so much as glance in her direction for the duration of the class.