Chapter twenty-one: Goodbye

This obsession, I must admit, has me shaken up a bit.
My solidarity now only comes in pairs.
I'd like to see you before you see me.
I'd like to see you leave.
Showered by torrential praise, why it is, I can't explain.
Attempts to leave yield no avail.
For me I don't know what's in store.
All I want is nothing more.
I don't deserve what I get.
I have nothing to return.

-A.F.I.

Tom had been awake for quite a while before Luna stirred. She stretched luxuriously, pointing her small toes, and stretching her arms above her head. Then she looked about in confusion before remembering where she was. She smiled slightly at the too-big shirt she was wearing. She rolled over to look at Tom, but he wasn't smiling. Her own smile began to fade.

"What's the - " she began.

"You were talking in your sleep," Tom interrupted flatly.

Luna cocked her head. "Was I?"

"Yes. You were."

By now her smile was completely gone. She furrowed her brow and asked, "Well, I'm sorry. Did I keep you awake?"

"No."

"Oh." She waited for him to continue. When he didn't, she prompted, "Well, why are you so upset then?"

He glared at her. "Because all I understood out of what you were saying was, 'Harry this, Harry that.' Who's Harry?"

Luna smiled again without thinking. "Ooh, yes I did dream about Harry!"

Tom's scowl grew fiercer. "Are you serious? We spend that night together, and then you promptly fall asleep and dream about some other guy?"

Luna's lips parted in a look of small surprise. "Oh, Tom, of course it's nothing like that. Harry's my friend."

"Do I know him?" he asked, still not placated.

"No," she replied, looking suddenly sad. "Not yet." She shrugged lightly and sat up on the couch, with her back to him.

"Do you always have to talk like I already know what you're talking about when I really have no idea?" he snapped.

She looked over her shoulder at him, a sad smile gracing her soft lips. "I really don't mean to upset you, Tom. You know that, right?"

He furrowed his brow, and sat up next to her. "I know you don't mean to. It just comes naturally to you," he said sarcastically, in a feeble attempt to get that sad smile off her face.

Luna apparently missed his subtle attempt, because the smile remained. She sighed. "Oh, Tom," she muttered, staring off into space. "Harry is a friend of mine from back...home."

"Home?" he asked, noticing the brief pause in her words.

"Yes," she replied. "A very good friend to me, really."

Tom couldn't identify the feeling in the pit of his stomach for a moment. He then recognized it as jealousy and scowled. I really ought to be getting used to this damn feeling by now, he thought.

He was torn from his thoughts when Luna rested her head against his shoulder. "I miss him. I guess I never really paid any attention to how much," she murmured.