Chapter twenty-four: Secret Keeper

"Secrets are things we give to others to keep for us."
- Elbert Hubbard

"He does it all the time. I can usually fight him off, but sometimes he breaks through when I'm stressed, or unfocused. I'm fine, guys. Stop carrying on," Harry said, brushing his friends off.

"Why didn't you tell us this was happening, mate?" Ron asked, his usually clear brow creased with worry.

Ginny and Hermione were buzzing about Harry, smoothing his hair, feeling his forehead, and trying to convince him to go to the Hospital Wing. Neville was hovering behind Ron, unsure of what to do, but eager to help. Luna was in the background, feeling too many odd emotions.

"It was my burden to bear. Ginny, Hermione, stop. I'm fine."

"We won't. Not until you've gone to the Hospital Wing," Ginny replied snappily, putting her hands on her hips and suddenly reminding them all of Molly Weasley.

"I'm sorry I made you unfocused, Harry," Luna said quietly in the background, unsure if anyone actually heard her.

"Don't start, Luna. It's not your fault," Ginny replied, still staring Harry down. Luna watched Harry squirm under the gaze of the fiery witch. "Honestly, Potter. 'My burden to bear,'" she imitated. "Stop being so self-righteous and ask for help sometimes. That's what we're here for, you prat." With that, Ginny marched off in the direction of the Hospital Wing, assuming that Harry would follow. And after a moment, he did.

The rest of them trailed after, Luna wondering in a distant part of her brain whether Ginny was much like Harry's mum.

Madam Pomfrey was not pleased that he hadn't come to her immediately, though there was nothing she could really do besides make his head stop aching. She bustled about, muttering things like, "Dark wizards in your head and not telling anyone...really, now..." She also insisted Harry remain in the Hospital Wing until all the "proper people" had been notified of the situation and he could be checked over by Aurors, special Healers from St. Mungo's, and who knows who else. Harry groaned at this; he had wanted this to be kept relatively secret. Now the whole Order of the Phoenix would know.

"Well, it is rather important, you know," Hermione told him. "You really shouldn't have kept something like that from the Order."

Harry was still grumpy by the time the Healers and Aurors arrived and Madam Pomfrey shooed the students out.

The five remaining gathered in the Gryffindor common room. Luna looked around interestedly as she'd never been inside before.

"What d'you think'll come of it?" Ron ventured. When no one replied, he went on, "I mean, d'you think You-Know-Who can control him, or - "

"We know what you meant, Ronald," Hermione snapped, clearly stressed.

A gloom fell over the group, and it dawned on Luna that she had forgiven them for their thoughts on her relationship with Tom. She smiled as she realized this. They were the most important people in her life now. To have attempted to remain upset with them would have only torn her apart more. Her emotions at the current moment were doing enough of tearing her apart without any help.

Other students began filtering into the common room after dinner. Nearly all of them were sending curious glances in their direction. Seamus and Dean approached them. "Nice one, Luna! Right across the face! What'd Harry do?" Seamus asked her with a grin.