[1]

I always knew I was my dad's daughter.

When I was born, we had a strong connection already. Our eyes connected and his heart lifted, a gentle smile pressed onto his lips without any force needed. I reached my small hand to him, looking at him with my big eyes and a small giggle leaving my toothless mouth, his finger got enclosed with my small ones. An instant bond made only being hours old. My first word ended up being "dada", I cried whenever he went out of the room. We did everything together; when I had a nightmare I cried for my dad. When I wanted to go to a party, I asked my dad to come with me. If I wanted help, I asked my dad. But, I loved my mum a lot as well, we can't forget the amazing woman who helped raise me just as much as my dad did.

And that's how I just knew that I was my dad's daughter.

However, as I progressively got older, so did the memories of us spending frequent time together. He took long trips away from home since I was around five. He never came and saw me and mum as often as he did, always taking long periods of time away at a time and always coming home like he was an army soldier. The gaps were getting more lengthy every birthday that passed. But, nonetheless, he was as loving as he could be. Giving me all the gifts I asked for, texting me whenever I missed him, and when we did meet we did everything we had texted about. Gone to theme parks, went on trips together even when he was tired.

I eventually learnt he owned his own military company, the Shadow Company. It's a military force or something along the lines of that. And my father?

Well, his name is Phillip Graves, the best dad I could ever ask for.

But, let's get our heads out of the past.

Right now, I'm one of the main sargeants in his company; fighting missions along my dad's side. I help him with recruits, exports, missions, intel and other important tasks and I do brilliantly at it. Being by my dad's side in war is one of the best things I could've ever asked for. The jokes we crack, the moments we share, it's amazing to expierence.

Plus, being in his company has opened myself opportunities to make more friends within the force. I've befriended some of the other sargeants and recruits he's enlisted, making sure I'm seen as friend and not foe. But my best friend is Liam, one of the other sargeants inside of the Shadow Company.

I take a drag of my cigarette as my feet dangle off the roof, looking up at the stars that gently twinkled and strobed above me. Blowing out the smoke, I turn my head to offer the cigarette to Liam, nodding and taking it, inhaling it and passing it back to me. He blows it out and gazes up to the stars with me. I adjust how I sit and rest on my hands.

"Do you think there's other universes with lives like ours?"

My words leave a mist against the cold air, being spoken with an interested tone. It is something I've always thought; about other universes and life, space in general.

"Again? We do this every week and it's the same question." he replies, scoffing slightly and raising an eyebrow with a concerned smile.

"Oh don't. Just answer this time."

"Then yes. There has to be. With something some scientist said, I think it was...Einstein? Dunno, But, apparently there's at least a hundred planets with life. Not like our life, but life. Probably parasites or bacterias."

A hum of acknowledgement left my body as I nod slowly, taking in his information and processing it to become an answer to the long awaited question.

"Yeah, I guess."

He chuckles, turning his head to me and nudging the side of my arm as I take another drag of the cigarette.

"That not good enough for you?"

"No, no. I just like how you think." I offer the cigarette.

"You rubbed your weird theories shit on me, so don't think it's all me." he shrugs, taking it and taking a long drag. "It's a bit deep to properly think about though."

"Hm." I hum and stub out the end, jumping down and stepping on the cigarette, fixing my hair slightly and taking a deep breath of the cool, night air. It fills my lungs and I shut my eyes as I exhale. Liam thudded down beside me and nudged me.

"'Oughta get some rest. See you." he walks off, me watching him leave and slipping my hands into the warm enclosures of my coat pocket, following not long after him.

Nodding at the recruits walking about as I make my way to my room, the thought of life lingers on my mind. How we really do only have one life; one to do everything and anything we want to. I've done almost everything on my bucket list so far and I'm not even fully thirty yet. A soft chuckle leaves my lips thinking about it, getting a couple weird looks. But at this point I couldn't care any less.

I open my room door and lock it as it closes behind me, kicking off my boots and unzipping my coat, slipping into pajamas and quickly brushing my teeth before tucking myself into bed snuggly.

One life to do everything and anything we want.

And I've almost done everything I want to.

Except for one thing.

Fall in love.