[3]

From meeting the men, nothing much really changed around the base.

It was casual small talk from them in the hallways or just a quick nod in the cafeteria. Nothing special, I hadn't decided to get to know them any further yet.

However, Liam managed to not trust them after barely a week.

"God, they just look so...so menacing. They seem so dishonest and they could literally shoot us at any second! I mean-"

"Hey, calm down Liam." I reassure, patting his back whilst he goes on yet another rant about his trust issues with the task force. He managed to not like them off "how they looked at him" one morning. God, this man.

"No, I can't. If they shoot you, I will release hell on this Earth-"

"They won't shoot me."

"But-"

"Nothing more from your stupid ass mouth. Got it?" I tilt my head to the side in a disapproving manner, only resulting in him nodding sadly with a pouting lip. I scoff with a smile and punch him in the chest softly.

"Ease up. They're here to help us, that's it."

"Fine. I'll see you later then, yeah? I've got to go do some training with a couple recruits."

"Sure, see ya." I reply, watching him walk away. I lean against the outside wall and rest my head back on the cold brick, shutting my eyes and embracing the breeze of fresh air compared to the stuffy base. A crunch from a boot caused me to open my eyes, looking towards the man stepping out.

"Good evening, Ghost." I greet, his masked face turning to meet mine as I lean off my back to my side to face him properly.

He simply nods then walks over, leaning beside me. Our height comparison is...rather intimidating. No wonder Liam is scared, only a few feet taller than me.

"Embracing nature then, hm?" I strike up small talk whilst shifting back over to lean on my back, with his head turning to look down at me.

"Yeah. Came for a smoke."

"Need a lighter?" I ask, scrambling my hands through my pockets before he mutters for me to stop and takes out a pack of cigarettes lighting one with his own. He takes a drag of it then looks down, blowing the smoke away from my face.

"Never think you'd smoke."

"Why's that?"

"Don't ya dad care?"

I chuckle and shake my head, the remark made me think of my dad's first reaction. A shrug, not really caring much.

He hums as a response and looks out towards the landscape in front of us. Nothing special as we're in the middle of nowhere but nonetheless something else to look at then grey walls. Planes leave trails of cloud across the sky, forming arrays of lines amidst the more puffy cotton balls.

The silence between us was...anything but awkward. It felt comfortable for some reason. We spoke no other words until he decided to say goodbye, which I stayed a little longer.

After he left, my eyes wandered back to the stars once more. Why was our company so comfortable without even knowing each other? It felt weird, but slightly reassuring. I shook my head lightly and leaned off the wall, walking inside to get back into the warmth. Today was my training day for the evening, so I had to stay up an extra two hours to make sure I did self improvement. Great...

A sigh left my lips as I walked to my room to get into the right attire for a workout, consisting of a sports bra and a loose tank top over it and some simple leggings. It's working out, why would I need to get dressed formally for something so minuscule?