Chapter 2

Stella

"WHY DO I NOW FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT?!" Raelynn practically cries, burying her head in her palms as we walk down the hallway, the hellish classes finally over.

Frankly speaking, it's just another Tuesday of Rae regretting her life decisions. And if I didn't know her any better, I would be comforting her as if I'm her nanny. She'll snap right away if I console her and all her regret will wash away like the foamy waves of the sea.

"Just as much as I hate what your own little nemesis did back there, not to mention I agree on the fact that he's a douchebag, I should say, breaking a nose went too far. You really should regret." I call out calmly and when she looks at me, I give her my special enchanting smile exclusive to only a handful of people, which is... really not a smile.

"Come on, not you too, Stell!" She nags like a toddler and I laugh. "Get your shit together now. Let's grab some food together before going home, all on me," I suggest and Raelynn grins and hugs me sideways.

Raelynn is my polar opposite. One could tell that as easily as they could differentiate water and milk. She was the naturally known grumpy, sassy girl with excellent academics. It was hard to even just get a cheerful 'Hi!' out of her.

But as much as I myself cannot believe, she really just has two personalities when she is with people close to her.

1. A young lady acting like a 3 years old toddler and
2. A young lady acting like an old lady who cannot walk without her walking stick.

Other than that, with others, she's Jules Ambrose 2.0. But she works her ass off for everything, I can confirm that as her best friend.

As we walk through the streets drinking the milkshake we grabbed by and gossiping, laughing and ranting about our lives, there's a little beep from my phone. Who's texting me now? I get the phone out, just to be greeted by the infinitely annoying text message from my dearest mother.

"Stella, honey, come home early. We'll be going to the Grayson's, alright?"

"Arghh, Rae, please take me somewhere and tell my mom that I've been kidnapped," I groan, and Raelynn gives that confused look but realizes in one split second. "Grayson's tonight?" She replies in the same frustrated tone I'm talking in. I nod. "She told me to go home early... I don't want to!" I continue groaning and she pats my back.

"The timing couldn't be anymore worse, argh."

---

"Mom, seriously, why do we have to go to the Grayson's today, just why? And dad, you'll be going away for the business trip too!" I whine as I get in the car after my mom. After this many years of visiting the Grayson's and them visiting us because of this family friendship thing between the two families, I still don't understand why we have to dress so fancy and all. Mom forced me to wear this midnight blue dress with a coat over it. Good thing that she remembered it's winter.

Annoying.

"Why not today?" my mom and dad ask with suspicion in unison, as if I committed a crime and now they're interrogating me. "So what I'll be away for a business trip, Stella? We're going there to have a nice time after all," dad replies and smiles. I just want to jump out of the car right now.

"Well, it's just I have too many assignments today and... and there's this pop quiz for History tomorrow!" Lies. Well, I cannot just say that 'Oh! Rae broke his best friend's nose today!'

"Then I'm sure Jacob has those works as well. And I'm also sure that he's not nagging with his parents right now," mom points out in that passive-aggressive tone I fear. I just roll my eyes and look out the window. Why are they comparing me with that jerk?