Chapter 11

[yall vote and comment if you like the story ok? don't be silent readers cuz it really demotivates us as writers. like this is partly the reason the chapters are published after ages. so yea, please ;)]

Raelynn

"Run faster Raelynn!" I hear my coach say as I surge faster towards the finish line, but Mia, our school's-now-finest athlete runs past me and reaches at the finish line before me, while I come in second. I throw down my hands down to my knee in exhaustion and take deep breaths. 

In.. and out.. in.. and.. out.  

I feel a hand pat my back as I stand up. "That was good, Skylar," my coach says with solace in her eyes. "It was not, don't lie," I grit my teeth as I walk past her. I feel her catch up to me and grab my wrist. "Raelynn, it was just one of the many practices leading up to the final contest. I know you have what it takes to be the-"

"Really? I do?" I snap right back at her, my eyes burning with wrath and frustration at myself. "Then tell me why I haven't been able to top Mia in a single practice? Tell me why I haven't been able to earn my position back as the team leader?!" I shriek at her, allowing all the irritation built up in me from the past two weeks to relinquish. 

Her jaw tightens and her eyes flicker with empath, "You're burning yourself out. Ever since this Mia thing, you've forgotten the real reason you took up on the track team," she says her voice taking up a serious tone. A humorless laugh rises up my throat, " Please, enlighten me with the knowledge coach". 

"Raelynn."

My fake laughter stops at her firm intonation. " You took up on the track team because you enjoyed running. It helped you to think; contemplate. And now? All I see is competition in your eyes. I don't even think you like running anymore honestly! Maybe the reason you're falling behind isn't lack of practice, but lack of your pleasure, your delight in the sport?"

"I. do. enjoy. running," my eyes darken at her statement. "Prove that to me in the next practice," her eyes set in determination as she walks away not sparing me another glance.

Aw man, fuck this shit. I need a cold shower, immediately.

I walk towards my locker in the girls' sport room, and take out my today's school wear and shower materials, and then head straight to the shower. 

Just as I step into the room after my much needed shower, Mia stares at me in horror. My jaw clenches at her sight, it's not that I hate her. It's just... I wish I was the one in her position in our team. 

"What? Aren't you satisfied enough after the practice?" I raise a brow at her. "W-what happened to your hair?" her mouth fell open. Huh? What is she talking about. I walk to approach the only mirror in the room and- 

oh my god. OH MY GOD. 

My face goes pale at the sight of my hair and my breathing take on a faster pace. Someone put bleach in my shampoo for god's sake! Who could do this?! My body overflows with flaming hot rage. 

"Is- that bleach?" Mia, who's now standing at my side panics.

"Yeah no shit, Sherlock!" I try to rub off the color out of hair but that's just dumb. It doesn't work that way. You would need hair dye and a bunch of other stuff. But oh god, I've got classes ahead of me. There's no way I'm walking around school like this. "Uh- Mia, do you have a cap or something?" I ask her. "No..." she's still staring at me like I came back from the dead. And actually, I'd rather be dead right now. "But..I can um- go ask anyone if you need it?" her eyes went round. "Yeah, I'd appreciate that, thanks" I say as I walk towards my bag to see if I ever kept a hair dye accidentally in it.