Chapter 13~Ponytail

My main priority was dropping my sister off at our aunt's, Mrs. Martin's, residence. She's going to spend some time there, allowing me to go to The Resort to finish what Kaleb had started.

I hop into my car, crank up the engine, as I start down the familiar route.

I near the hideout, and notice Luke's car parked a short distance from the entrance. Stepping inside, the sight that greets me is Luke on the sofa with his phone in his hand.

Kaleb is sprawled on the sofa opposite, looking a bit more alive. His face has some color, and his lips are back to normal. There are beads of sweat on his forehead as he stirs just as I enter the room.

Luke gives me a look, and we both know what needs to be done. I grab a nearby chair and quickly slide it into place, while Luke moves to Kaleb's side.

Without hesitation, Luke firmly pushes Kaleb down onto the chair.

I crouch down, right in front of Kaleb. Where he sits on the chair, all alone. I reach out, taking his chin in my hand, turning his head toward me. I give him this little grin, real cocky-like.

"Sweet dreams, pretty boy?" I say, teasing him.

Kaleb doesn't look too happy about it, scowling. I can't help but smirk at that. I've got him where I want him.

I give Kaleb a sly look and then lean in close, almost whispering, "How many people you've touched with those filthy hands of yours, Kaleb?"

Luke, who's sitting there watching, decides to jump in, getting all protective. He says, "Touch her again, and you won't have hands, Collins. Test me. I like the challenge."

I take the cloth that Luke passes to me, holding it up. "Now, I need your address, but before I make you slip into unconsciousness, I'm pretty sure you don't want daddy to have to fight your battles for you, no?" I raise an eyebrow, making sure he knows the stakes.

"I reckon you keep this between us. A broken nose doesn't do well for a family with your status, yeah."

He gives me his address, which is a good sign because it means he's cooperative. Even though we don't need it. Luke has already got his address saved from the information he gathered.

Before Kaleb can respond, I press the cloth against his nose, applying' just enough pressure to make my point.

As I press the cloth against Kaleb's nose, the chemicals take their toll, and he slumps back into unconsciousness. It'll only last for a maximum of forty minutes.

I turn around, and Luke folds his arms over his chest, expectant.

"What?"

"I carried him in here. It's your turn, Mr. problem solver."

I scowl at his comment, and he smiles because of it, teasing me. Luke puts his hands up, grinning, "Hey, I did this for your girlfriend. You owe me."

I sigh and respond, "I appreciate it."

Luke looks confused, maybe even a bit shocked, his eyebrows flying up. "You're not going to argue?"

I smirk, "No."

"Huh, Isa's working her magic on you, isn't she?" he remarked with a mischievous grin.

I can't help but smile in response. "She is surely working, something in me," I reply, trying to convey the inexplicable feelings Ell stirred inside me.

Luke shot me a skeptical look. "Eww, that's my best friend you're talking about, and it's not 'in you'. You doofus. It's something attached to you."

Part of me wanted to laugh it off and agree with Luke. But deep down, I know it is more than just her influence on the surface.