2: Sophmore

Chapter Two 

Note: This is a very short update.

As I observe the birds flocking on the ground, a thought crosses my mind. If I weren't human, what would I be doing now? Would I be a bird, hopping around joyfully or a worm being fed for their young? Could I be a caterpillar, nestled within a cocoon, or a butterfly, flaunting my vibrant wings amidst a garden of blossoms? If I wasn't a living thing, would I be stone that people step on? Or even worse, a leaf used by people when they need to poop on the highway and don't have any tissue to wipe their asses? These thoughts make me wonder about life from different perspectives.

"What do you think of Joss?" Aerika suddenly asked out of the blue.  "Were you upset by his actions?"

Earlier in class, our instructor had asked my classmates kung puwede ba nila akong isali sa mga grupo nila. I was still finalizing my enrollment when they had their first class for that subject, kaya late na akong pumasok. Joss had responded "no" in a rather harsh tone. I even overheard his group mates telling him to be quiet.

"No, I get where he's coming from," I replied. Hindi ko sinasabi ito dahil gusto ko siya or attracted ako sa kniya. "Did you see their performance? It was good. Kung sinali nila ako sa grupo nila, baka nasira ko lang 'yong performance nila kasi hindi naman ako naki-practice."

Tumango naman si Aerika. "Sabagay."

"However, I do find him a bit abrasive," I admitted. "He's very blunt. Hindi siya nagda-dalawang isip sabihin kung anong nasa isip niya. Like earlier, when our classmate was sharing her answer. Did you hear what he said?"

Aerika remembered the incident and snapped her fingers. "Ay oo! Mabuti nga hindi siya narinig ng kaklase natin?"

Our classmate's response had been quite off the mark from our instructor's question, and Joss had been making negative comments behind us. He was sitting very close enough for us to hear everything.

"Pero sa tingin mo ba magiging kaibigan natin siya balang araw?"

"I can't say for sure," I turned to my friend and passed the question back to her. "What about you?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Hindi ko rin alam."

***

My mind was filled with curses as I watched a video of an elderly man mistreating a child. Despite my discomfort, I had to gather information about him.

"Ramon Jacinto, a retired teacher. He lost his license last year after harassing the principal's daughter but managed to evade punishment. I couldn't find any evidence that the child's family protested. I also discovered that they have left the country."

Zayn responded with a hum on the end of the line. "What else?"

His calm demeanor was consistent. "He's selling his videos to the Sophmore, which means we need him alive. He's the only one we've encountered with a connection to the Sophmore, so we need to monitor him. I've already informed her, and she wants you and your team to pose as Jacinto's guards while on this mission. Inform also Jedruth to cover your place while you're away. I need him when I finish tracking where are the child and her family"

As soon as I finish what I'm saying, he ended the call. I sighed, having given up on him long ago. It was challenging to work with him. He was always quiet, aloof, and standoffish. Para kasi sa kaniya, hindi raw kailangan ang friendship sa trabahong ito. May point nama siya. Hindi naman dapat kaibigan mo lahat ng katrabaho mo. Ang sa akin lang, sana naman huwag niyang masyadong ilayo ang loob niya, lalo na sa akin kasi ako ang partner niya. 

When I opened the door to get some snacks, may bulaklak nanamang naghihintay sa akin. This time, it wasn't a rose. It was two tulips wrapped in black paper. Next to it was the same black card I received yesterday.

 Next to it was the same black card I received yesterday

Hi, Crescent.

I heard you have a crush on that gay guy in your class. What was his name again? Joss? Come on, sweetheart, you deserve better. Trust me, you can't turn that guy around. Look for me instead.

Why am I receiving this lately? When did the guys start to notice me and know these things. He didn't use my name to address me, but I'm certain this is for me because he mentioned Joss.

And what did he said, look for him? Is he worth it of my time? I have a lot of things to do and looking for a coward jerk will only ruin my plans.