Chapter 2 - I Want to Live (1)

It was clear what it meant to see shabby alleys and the floor of the market at a lower eye level.

Commoners at best, orphans at worst.

But…

Looking at the worn-out clothes with one sleeve missing, the dirty and foul-smelling body of a skinny child, anyone could tell that I was an orphan.

The unfamiliar dirtiness and stench were making my mind cloudy and unpleasant.

As an orphan whose struggle for survival revolved around eating, there was also a feeling of weakness and exhaustion.

These two combined as negative effects, and I was in a state as if I woke up after drinking too much.

Resentment was the first thing that seeped into my hazy mind.

I didn’t know what their reason was, but if they let me enter the game as they pleased, shouldn’t they have given me a character worth living with?

To be an orphan…

It was astonishing.

‘But still… I have high-ranking traits.’

I quickly spun the happiness circuit.

Let’s calm down. Honestly, an orphan with high-ranking traits was better than most noble households. It meant high-ranking traits were that good.

No, wait a minute.

Come to think of it, before losing consciousness, I clearly heard that Penalty Traits would be randomly assigned.

And there were three of them.

‘This is insane.’

So, I got scammed, didn’t I?

I thought the tutorial was over and I was getting a freebie, but it wasn’t. Give and take. One High-ranking Trait for one Penalty Trait.

‘Damn it. I’m being screwed over in a game and in… reality too.’

I couldn’t call this reality, but now it was.

No wonder for some reason, I could select only one High-ranking Trait and press the create button.

I thought it was a system designed to make it difficult again if players got bored later.

So, I didn’t bother thinking too much about it.

My heart rate increased.

This time, no curses came out of my mouth. That was how serious the Penalty Traits were.

Penalty Traits were truly diverse.

From something moderate to counteract the advantages of High-ranking Traits, to something extreme. There was nothing trivial. That was why they were Penalty Traits.

My mind quickly raced. I tried to recall the Penalty Traits I knew.

-Magic Ineptitude

-Insanity

-Cannibalism

-Extreme Ignorance

-Abnormal Sexual Desire

-Heresy

-Cursed Body

There was no point in continuously rerolling character creation. If you got one wrong Penalty Trait, it would be a real problem.

It was not just about growth being hindered; it was the things that were forced upon you.

With Cannibalism, Abnormal Sexual Desire, or Heresy, if the desires weren’t satisfied, the character’s mental state deteriorated, and if it persisted, the character committed suicide.