Chapter 36 - Ruins of Leocran (1)

Intelligence organizations often disguise themselves as mercenaries.

It provided them the advantage of having the freedom to move without arousing suspicion wherever they went.

Additionally, mercenaries had access to information that could only be obtained within their world.

For mercenaries, combat, and war mean money.

Like merchants attracted to the scent of money, mercenaries were drawn to conflicts and disputes.

Both aspects were beneficial for intelligence organizations agents to utilize.

Even the allies’ agents in Tumak were posing as a small mercenary group.

They were currently tasked with exploring the ruins and providing support and protection for the mission.

Therefore, it was not we who discovered the ruins.

Our mission was to handle the employer and ensure the safe extraction of whatever was found within the ruins.

Phiri and I played the roles of members and vice-leader, respectively, joining the team after completing different tasks.

The Haisen’s Imperial Intelligence Agency leader had delegated full authority to Phiri.

‘Just investigate the ruins and proceed if the conditions are favorable, or leave it alone if they aren’t.’

This small mercenary group had undergone verification of their abilities and gained a considerable amount of trust, making them suitable for the exploration mission.

These mercenaries could be used for other tasks as well, so we were advised to consider that while acting.

In this situation, there was nothing I could do.

There was no reason to object. Even if it made me uncomfortable, I had no choice. The moment I became a spy, I abandoned all hesitation.

If they wanted to criticize me, let them. I must accept it. It was not like I hadn’t done dirty work before.

Anyway, I had no idea what was related to these ruins. It was due to the employer not providing any information.

Mercenary leader, Heide, said that we should be cautious of archaeologists in the area.

It was not uncommon for mercenaries to turn against their employers and become thieves.

After hearing a brief explanation of the situation, we proceeded to examine the site.

* * *

The scene was filled with dust and dirt, as they were excavating the underground for the ruins.

Four agents were helping with the exploration support as part of their mission.

‘Considering the workforce of four slave laborers, there must be around fifteen workers in total.’

I sighed inwardly.

I, too, was assigned to help with the exploration starting tomorrow, thanks to my Mystic ability to perceive the internal structure and situations in real-time through “Winds.”

Since someone else had eyes, I couldn’t just use Winds to inspect the place cleanly. I had to get my hands and body dirty.

Now was the time to avoid it. I followed behind Heide, pushing the dust away with winds.

After a brief examination, it didn’t seem like they were randomly digging. There appeared to be some direction to their efforts.

From a distance, I spotted a middle-aged archaeologist giving instructions.