Chapter 30 - Kahalin

“So, what’s the issue that needs solving?”

Upon Phiri’s question, the Chief glanced at me briefly. It was probably a question of whether I should be present or not.

Phiri frowned.

“I asked because it’s fine to talk about it.”

“Oh, yes.”

The Chief couldn’t be unaware. The recent incident was evidence that it was an important matter to discuss.

In the midst of their concentration, the Chief swallowed dryly.

“While we were discreetly collecting Lyon ore, which goes unnoticed by the Empire, a suspicious group suddenly appeared.”

“Did we have competitors?”

“Yes. At first, we didn’t realize it was a group. It’s not uncommon for a Merchant Guild with a tight delivery deadline to wander around the black market, paying extra to secure goods.”

Phiri nodded.

“After tracking various small Merchant Guilds, we discovered that the ore was flowing towards a specific location.”

“Has the Empire caught on?”

“Not yet. We were able to identify the flow since we were collecting the ore, but it’s only a matter of time due to the aggressiveness of the opposing side.

Phiri sighed, and I quickly pondered the situation.

Lyon ore, primarily found in the northern region, was a material commonly used to produce magical items.

However, it was also an essential ingredient for manufacturing magic power bombs, making the Empire’s surveillance strict.

One question immediately came to mind. Setting aside the suspicious group, why was Haisen collecting it?

My thoughts turned to their leader, and not in a good way.

“If they’re collecting something that can’t be resold, there must be a purpose. Have you found out anything about the opposition?”

“Other than their base at the Kiberun Mountain range, we have no further information.”

“….”

“I apologize. The opposition has been thorough, making it difficult to track their movements.”

Phiri bit her lip, showing signs of frustration. It was an unavoidable situation.

Haisen in the southern continent had difficulty exerting its influence in the north. That’s why this place was considered remote and dangerous.

“What are the possible speculations?”

“There’s a possibility that it’s connected to Rialto or Hisala, which is adjacent to the north, but…”

As the Chief spoke, they suddenly paused.

Before Phiri could express her impatience and open her mouth, the Chief continued.

“Personally, I believe it could also be the Empire.”

“Are the Empire’s dogs involved in something?”

“Yes. They’re too aggressive to be Rialto or Hisala. There’s no reason for them to draw attention like this.”

Common sense dictated that the Empire didn’t need to purchase something coming from its own territory.

However, if there was something fishy going on, the situation could change. It was a reasonable assumption by the person in charge on-site.