39. Back In Red (1)

Seb flopped down onto the large, luxurious king sized bed that dominated the average sized Bahraini hotel room they'd been allocated. This would be his and Jessie's home for the next fifteen days, first for the pre season testing, and then for the first race of the 2023 season.

He couldn't quite believe that it was almost time for him to get behind the wheel of the SF-23.  Of course he'd already driven her in a shakedown at Fiorano, but once he'd driven her properly he could start thinking of a name for her.   Once she had a name it would all become more real.  

The year had passed so quickly so far.  It didn't seem long since they'd seen in the new year, and now it was nearing the end of February.  

At the end of January he and Jessie had been to Sweden where he'd taken part in Race of Champions, making the semi finals of both the Nations Cup with Mick Schumacher, and the individual event.   Then the week after that they'd travelled to Maranello, where he'd undergone a seat fit, before attending the launch of the new car and driving it at Fiorano. 

They'd barely had any time at home before they'd then had to fly out to Bahrain.   Still, he couldn't wait to get out on the track.    The car had felt good in the shakedown, but that meant nothing until he could compare it with the others.  The chances were the other teams would be sandbagging though, as would they to a certain extent, so things may not even become clear until qualifying. 

"I am beat,"Jessie announced from where she was laid beside him on the bed.  He glanced to his right at her. She'd already changed into her pyjamas, a lilac and white gingham shortie set that left little to the imagination. He meanwhile was still wearing the black joggers and Foo Fighters tshirt he'd travelled in.

"Yeah, I'm pretty tired too," he admitted. "Although I don't think I can sleep until I've eaten something."

He turned onto his side and propped his head up on his hand. "How about we order some dinner in, then we can have a nice cuddle and an early night."  Jessie rolled onto her side so she was facing him.

"That sounds perfect," she said softly. They both leant closer to the other and their lips met.  A few minutes later Seb forced himself to pull out of the kiss.  He knew that if he didn't things would escalate and they'd both end up naked, which wasn't a bad thing but he really didn't think he had the energy after the long day they'd had. 

"Let me get the menu," he told Jessie, sitting up and getting off of the bed. 

Jessie watched Seb walk across to the desk underneath the television and pick up a laminated menu.  He came back to the bed and sat back down next to her.  

They both chose what they wanted and Seb ordered via the hotel app.   

"I'm just going to take a shower baby," he told her, getting off of the bed again.

She watched him walk into the bathroom and close the door behind him.   A minute later she heard the shower start running. 

Sighing, she sat up and propped herself up with her pillows.   She felt a little down if she was honest with herself.  It was nothing to do with Seb and how they felt about each other, it was just life in general.  

Despite their hope that the gossip about her and Seb would die down, it hadn't as yet. There was still talk on social media Formula 1 gossip pages that she and Seb had been having affair behind Ava's back.  And then there was still the issue of her inability to fall pregnant. 

Her last period had been a week late, and although she'd known inside she wasn't pregnant she'd been able to tell that Seb had been hoping they'd got their miracle.  Seeing how deflated he'd been, even though he'd tried to hide it, when she'd finally started bleeding had been heartbreaking.