73. Their Little Secret

"Make sure she rests Laura!" Seb instructed his mother in law eight days later.   He was soon to leave for Canada and Laura was going to be staying to help Jessie with Mollie.

"Don't worry Seb, I'll make sure she doesn't lift a finger," Laura reassured him.  Seb smiled.  He hated leaving Jessie and Mollie,  but he felt better knowing that Laura was there. 

The last eight days had been surreal.    Jessie had stayed in hospital for another two nights, and then after more blood tests and another ultrasound she'd been discharged with instructions to take it easy. To both of their delight the baby still seemed to be thriving, although they knew it was still very early days.

The baby. Seb smiled as he thought of their little mousling, as he'd taken to calling the baby, growing inside Jessie. He sometimes wondered if this was all a dream, and he knew that Jessie felt that way too. This had never been something they'd thought would happen. They'd never once thought they'd conceive naturally. It really was a miracle. A miracle that only the hospital staff, and he and Jessie knew about.

After that first ultrasound they'd had a heart to heart and decided that it would be best to keep their news to themselves for now.    Once they'd had their twelve week scan, which they'd since arranged for the day before Seb's thirty seventh birthday, they would break the news to their families. 

Both sets of parents were already due to be arriving on Seb's birthday.  They'd be staying for five nights and attending Silverstone with them. 

The plan was to hold a barbecue on Seb's birthday where they would reveal the pregnancy.  Jessie had already had several ideas on how to do it. 

"I'm going to miss you so much!"

Seb snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of Jessie's voice.

"I'm going to miss you too," he told her, crouching down by the side of the sofa upon which she was laid. "I'll be back Monday, and I won't be leaving for Barcelona until the following Wednesday."

He leant forwards and kissed her softly.  He then glanced around and saw that Laura was busy with Mollie.  "Take care of our little Mousling," he whispered in her ear. 

"I will," Jessie replied, putting her hand protectively on her stomach. 

Seb straightened up and walked over to Laura, who was now over by the window.  He took Mollie out of her arms.

"Now Mollie Moo, Papa has to go now but he'll soon be back.   You look after Mummy for me baby girl."  He kissed the top of her head and felt his eyes welling up with tears.   He hated leaving them, even more so now Jessie was pregnant.

Mollie began to cry, it was almost as if she understood that her Papa was going away for a while.

Seb wondered, not for the first time, why he was still doing this. He loved racing, he really did, but was it really worth being away from his family?    Then he thought of how he'd felt when he'd won his world titles.  It had always been his dream to feel that way whilst wearing the red of Ferrari.   It still was his dream.   Wasn't it?

He'd just have to make it happen, then he could retire,  fulfilled. 

"Come here little one," Laura said, holding her arms out to take Mollie back from him.  "Papa has to go drive brum brum cars."

Seb reluctantly handed his daughter over. 

"I'd much rather be here with my girls," he admitted. 

"Oh Seb, I'm not exactly a girl anymore, but I'm touched," Laura said, earning a laugh from Jessie. 

Seb rolled his eyes.   He then kissed his mother in law on the cheek.