Go Home

•THIRD PERSON POV•

Eric examined the papers that cover his desk carefully, the small typed words beginning to look like a blur the more that he stared at them. The ticking of the clock hanging on the wall behind him didn't help to ease his frustration as he sat at his desk, trying to get work done.

It had been like that for hours.

The incessant clock ticking, the countless papers and files splayed out in front of him, the computer next to him falling asleep each time he took a break from typing reports; all a reminder of the responsibility that he held in the advancements that were taking place between Dauntless and Erudite.

He turned slightly in his chair to glance behind him at the clock on the wall. He was crunched for time and that was something that he realized. The meetings between his current and former faction had recently grown more frequent, which allowed little time for Eric to actually finish all the work that he was supposed to do.

Not only that, but Eric was beginning to find the meetings at Erudite tedious and trying. The way that Jeanine gave him orders made him feel like a student obeying his teacher, it felt as if he was struggling to finish assignments before creeping due dates.

He didn't mind receiving these "assignments" though. Eric was never secretive about the fact that he didn't like being told what to do, but there was a mutual respect between himself and the leader of Erudite.

Besides, Eric didn't oppose to being given so much responsibility. In a way, he preferred it.

Responsibility was a form of power and it gave Eric the control that he needed in order to feel comfortable in a situation.

The only downside, was that the power and responsibility he was given was accompanied by a heavy workload.

Typically, Eric would hire an assistant to do his dirty work. He absolutely despised paperwork, so of course that option was tempting, but what was being discussed between Dauntless and Erudite was strictly confidential.

So there he sat, staring at the papers in front of him, mentally noting all of the things he needed to finish by the end of the day and growing increasingly more stressed.

He took a deep breath and rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands, leaning back in his chair.

A break from his work would be good for him, but he was stubborn and refused to take a proper break for something as paltry as being tired.

So although the bags under his eyes and the headache pounding in his head protested, Eric continued working in isolation.

Luckily for him he didn't mind being alone.

All throughout his life, he never really found solace in having people around him. Instead, people often made him irritated or annoyed.

The only time that he actually went out of his way to be around others, was when he needed to. And those that he did spend time around, served as nothing but a means to an end. Some provided a distraction, a release, an ego boost (not that he needed one), etc.

The only exception to this was Alana.

He would never admit it if someone asked and at that time he had not even admitted it to himself, but he genuinely did enjoy being around her.

Eric didn't know why and he sure as hell didn't understand it, but he didn't grow annoyed with her like he should. The only time he was annoyed around Alana was when they were interrupted. Of course the interruptions between them lately, were courtesy of engagements at Erudite.