Take A Risk

It turns out that working at the fence was a lot worse than I thought it would be. There was nothing to do aside from staring out into the distance and walking around. Unfortunately, because there wasn't much to do, it didn't serve as a very good distraction.

It only took about a week and a half for me to realize that I'd chosen the wrong job. I missed my friends so much, especially Caterina and Beast. Luckily for me, there was this girl that I became close with while working named Fallon who was just like Caterina in every way imaginable. She had blonde hair that bounced with every step she took like Caterina, but she also had two piercings above her eyebrow just like Eric.

So yeah, the fence: not a very good distraction.

Things did get better the more time that I spent away from the main compound though. I hadn't cried since before I left, and I've come to terms with the fact that I wasn't the first girl Eric had done this to, and I probably wouldn't be the last.

It was just like he said "not personal."

About five weeks into being stationed at the Fence, Fallon and I got news that we would be going back for a few days, along with a couple of the other guards. She was really excited because one of her best friends just had a child that she hadn't met yet.

I on the other hand, was not as eager to return. Yeah, it was boring there and part of me regretted not picking another job, but I felt like the separation was good for me.

I had no idea what would happen if I went back, I didn't want to fall into the same routine of feeling miserable all the time. Besides, five weeks is a long time and things were bound to have changed while I was gone.

I wouldn't be able to handle seeing Eric with another girl, not yet. It would just be better for everyone if I skipped this trip back to dauntless and caught the next one. I needed more time.

On the day that we were supposed to leave though, I found myself packing my bags because I couldn't think of an actual reason as to why I wanted to stay behind. I hadn't told Fallon about what happened with Eric because that would be too embarrassing, and she's been pretty cheery lately about her friends new baby.

"Alrighty," Fallon said, looking at her bag and slinging it over her shoulder, "You almost ready?"

I looked down at my packed duffel and then up at her. "Actually, I think maybe I'll just hang back. You go on without me."

"Haha," Fallon teased, "Very funny. Now let's go."

I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes at her. "I'm serious."

Fallon shot me a confused glare before her spindly little hand darted out and grabbed my arm. She began pulling me with a strength that she didn't look like she had before I swatted her hand away.

"Fallon, wait!" I shouted, taking a few steps away from her.

"What's going on with you?"

I shrugged and looked down. "Nothing I just- I'm really dedicated to this job and I'd rather stay."

Fallon's eyebrows shot skyward as the most disapproving look I had ever seen painted itself across her face. "Alana, I don't think I've ever seen someone get as bored as you do out here. Now come on," she said.

"I don't want to."

Fallon gazed at me quizzically before a slow smirk crept on her lips. "You're running," she said softly.

"What?"

"You're running from something. Someone. That's why you decided to take this job," She shrugged, crossing her arms over her chest and looking rather proud of herself.